what yall think about bag of milo marked 2010 ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladyearth, Oct 26, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Hubby went to the Amish mill for me other day.. Reason go there cause supposedly the corn is non GMO... I buy it whole and crack it myself....
    never thought about looking but the old bag has 2010 on it packed for 2010.. I kept it to put garbage in it.. a paper feed bag.... I was so ticked off. I had just looked at the new bag and it was 2010,too.......
    Unfortunately it was about 4pm their closing time. The lady who ansewered said it was prob fine..... YOU WOULD THINK AMISH would be more honest and not sell old stuff...
    It is only place around that has it... suposedly so to be feed grade too... I bet that very first bag was old too back in 2013 or so I bought it.....
    I never even thought about a looking till recently so disappointed give them corn and milo and wheat like scratch....
    YAll opinions please
    thank you

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My gut is that 5 year old grain, while still edible, has lowered nutritional value. As far as the Amish and honesty, they are business people.

1 person likes this.
  3. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    so business people sell old stuff..... is that moral or plain just right?
    To me its dishonest and I bet it has grain insects in it too......
    now I will be sure to check the label......

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Neither moral or right; hence the phrase - caveat emptor. Amen on checking the bag label. I never buy a bag of feed without doing so.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know why folks think the Amish are more honest/moral/ethical than any other religion [​IMG]

I agree with sourland, it's probably fine to feed, just a little less nutritious. Grain can store for quite a while and be perfectly edible.

6. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Don't know much about the Amish do you.

1 person likes this.
  7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I don't know if mold grows in old milo, but I would find out before feeding it! Mary

1 person likes this.
  8. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    as for the Amish
    The dealings I have had with two of them have not been positive. one overcharged for what he did the other tried to slop up our expensive steel standing seam roofing job. One was real good ... the lumber guys....good...
    but with this old milo BAD.. unfortunately they( the Amish mill) are 20 miles away over back 2 lane highways
    I also believe the corn has grain bugs in it.. cause there were webs and "dust" on the pan I used to dip some corn out for the chickens

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If you are buying feed corn I would imagine that the Amish and the Mennonites are no more prone to growing non GMO crops than any other group of Christians. In fact because there are less inputs needed on non GM crops than for GMO crops, it makes more sense for an Amish farmer to raise GMO corn because he can cultivate more GMO corn with a horse drawn plow than he can ever hope to grow with the agriculture methods in use during the 17Th Century.

As an example, 100 years ago when my Mummy was a little girl, there was no hybrid seed corn little less GMO seed corn, and on the poor ground my Grandparents farmed it was customary to plant two or three corn stalks or seeds to a hill then skip up to 3 feet before planting another hill of corn. Yields were low to say the least.

It fell to my mother's brothers and sisters to hoe the weeds out of their corn, and to cut the suckers off the side of the corn stalks to encourage an upright growth habit. Now remember in those days that fully 40% of all the land and the crops produced was earmarked to feed the farmers' mules, horses, cows, hogs, and yes chickens. It is immaterial that as part of their religion that the Old Order Amish and Mennonites don't work mules, Horses must still be fed.

An Amish farmer like sourland mentioned is at heart a businessman and America has a forest of grain elevators used to store surplus grain just like the Egyptians did in ancient times.
    However if he removed, obscured, or altered the date on the tag that is a mule of a different hue. I have always found the Amish and Mennonites to be honest but they are usually far ahead of their customers in the brains department.

10. ladyearth

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    He told me when I first went there back in 2014 that it came from a farmer in Columbia, ky.. I hope that he doesnt lie..... but the other stuff was pretagged from C farm supply the 2nd bag of wheat and the miol bags First time the wheat bag from Illinois and tagged ..... no tag on corn >just in their nylon or plastic bags with a piece of orange poly twine....
    but I dont know when they got it.. prob a big turnover but still I bet it has webs...
    at least when I occ buy from the farmers mkt. when pressed they will tell me what they use on their edible crops....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by