1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What you know about marek's disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Soot the silkie, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I had a chicken who recently died of what I'm pretty sure was Marek's (see https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/932567/my-silkie-is-dying-whats-wrong-with-her-please-reply for more about what happened) I am going to get new chicks and I'd like to keep them from dying from Marek's. I've heard some things that I'm not sure are true and want more information on how to keep my new chicks safe. Here is the only things I know about it;
    1. If chicks are vaccinated in the first day of their life and quarantined for three weeks they cannot die of Marek's.
    2. A hen over one year old cannot die of Marek's
    3. Marek's blinds the chicken in one eye.
    4. Can paralyze chicken or just make them weak on one side.
    5. It can last in a coop for up to seven years.
    6. It's airborne.
    And that's really all I know so I would appreciate more info so my new little peepers don't go belly up.

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    This is what I know. If you vaccinate chicks at one day old, you are helping them prevent the disease, become more resistant, not 100% true they will not develop it, they may, their chances of getting sick are diminished with the vaccine. A bird can die of mareks disease at any age, but if a bird has survived a year in an environment where there was a marek disease bird, chances are they may not die, but they may carry the germ. Marek's disease can blind a bird on both eyes. #4 is true. #5 I am not sure if it is 7 years or 4 years, but it does last in your surroundings. Mareks is transmitted through the air in the dust particles the chickens shed from their feathers. Since this particles are so miniscule, that is why it can stay in your bird area for a long time. I would suggest you new ones vaccinated and keep them away from the area where the other sick bird was. I would disinfect the are with bleach (not with any birds in it) and let it dry. let it ventilate as much as you can and hose it down if you can. I am not sure you can get rid of the germs, but they may be less of it. Good luck.

3. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Unless vaccinated or bred for resistance any chicken is susceptible. Even vaccinating is not 100% but the odds are far better for you. They can and will die after a years age. They can also have internal tumors that don't effect one side or the other and they just waste away and die.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens of any age can be affected by Mareks, although it tends to affect most in early life around 4-8 months. Eye mareks can happen without paralysis, and the paralysis can happen without eye Mareks. There are 4 main types of Mareks: eye, skin, nerve, and internal organ. Here are some good links that may answer all of your questions:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/90/mareks-disease
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/#/disease/Marek's_Disease

5. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

6. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Are bantams more likely to get it because they are smaller? Are full size breeds tougher?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  7. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Thank you, but I may spend the rest of my life reading those articles. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  8. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    And can eye Marek's kill them?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some BYCers have chickens with ocular Mareks who are living their lives with blindness, but since tumors are responsible for all types of Mareks, they can still develop other symptoms, such as wasting. There are several ongoing threads about Mareks here where members discuss their chickens with the disease.

10. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I think one of my chickens might be blind in one eye, she doesn't really react if I show a mealworms to just that side... But I'm hoping she'll just be blind in that eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by