What you liked about raising your chicks, and what you don't like.

Gabrielle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Iv'e had millions of escapes. But the thing that I really don't like, is the chicks pooping in the food and water...
idunno.gif

But overall I'm having some good time, and besides.. it's only week 4.
fl.gif

http://www.youtube.com/user/GabrielleNH11

Last edited:
Yeah, when they are little, as soon as you clean the water and food in they go to dirty it up more. And the dust is just unreal. But, I love the sound baby chickers make... I miss that now that mine are big. But now I do love to wonder around in the yard with them, I like to carry them around, I love giving them treats, I love holding strange conversations with them..... I love the new grown up noises they make...... Gee I could keep going...

I truly enjoy having the chicks and would do it more often if I could find a sitter for them when I need to be away.
So I guess being tied down and the cost is my only complaint.

LOL I love this idea
lol.png

What I liked What I didn't like.
Holding the cute fuzzy butts. Cleaning the brooder.
Watching them grow. The nasty poop smell(the runny poop that STINKS!)
When they learn to scratch and fill their waterer and feeder.
When they learn to fly and try to get out but instead make a mess of shavings and get it everywhere.

Other than that I love fuzzy butts!

Them stepping in poop, you picking them up, and them having poo with pine shavings stuck to it, stuck to their feet.c
sickbyc.gif

Oh, and pasty butt...having to hold them and gingerly pick dried poo off their fuzzy rear ends.
th.gif

But other than that, they are fun.
lol.png

What I do like
• Picking them out myself at the store
• Holding them on my lap in the car on the way to their new home
• Watching them fight the urge to fall asleep and losing
• When they sit on my shoulder and snuggle in my long hair
• The way they sound when every thing in their little world is as it should be
• Watching them grow up into beautiful healthy birds
• Playing with them outside and having them fallow me around the yard like I'm thier mom
• When the warm sun touches them and they fall right over and go to sun bathing
• Their cute tinny feet as they try to scratch for bugs in the dirt
• Seeing my dad enjoying them just as much as I do but then acting like they are nothing much when he realizes someone is looking his way
I should stop now b/c I could go on forever….
What I don’t like
• The smell
• The noise
• The dust
• The poop
• The dirty feeder and water dish
• The ugly stage they get to as they lose their fuzziness
• Mom complaining when I spend to much time with them and not enough time doing my homework
• My sister insisting on naming at least one and then coming up with the worst name ever just to spite me
• Realizing that what was supposed to be a pullet chick is really a cockerel instead
• When they grow up and I am left wising I could do it all over again right away but having to wait until next spring
Ok I should stop when they are even…

I love having a chicken that loves me enough to knock on, or even break in the back door to come and seek me out.
I hate having to worry about her 24/ 7 because she's such a great escape artist and there is a constant threat from a neighbor's dog.
I love having a fresh egg almost every day. ( My other pullets aren't laying yet. )
I love that they follow me and my son around and do tricks, like jumping for treats.
I love that the little chicks will duck under the big chickens and dive into my lap for shelter.
I love that they all run to me as soon as they see me.
I hate that sometimes I'm just outside I don't have treats for them at that moment.
tongue.png

I love to give them new treats and find out that they love them, too.
I hate that I can't let them free range...
But mostly I just love everything.

Oh, but I do hate worrying about them while on vacation. I hate having to leave them under the care of someone else...I hate burdening them with the responsibility, and I hate the fact that the chickens are not getting the attention they get when I'm at home.

Back
Top Bottom