What you need to raise chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MRNpoultry, May 8, 2008.

1. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    This is a list of all the stuff you need to raise baby chickens.

Brooder - A brooder can be as simple as a cardboard box, to as nice as a wooden brooder. I use a 45 gallon rubbermaid container. The brooder needs to be large enough to house them till they are ready to move out. Otherwise you will have to find somthing else to keep them in until they move out.

Heat- This is very important, baby chickens need a 95 degree heated area for the first week. After the first week you can drop the temperature 5 degrees every week until the temperature reaches the low outside. Once your brooder reaches the low and they are feathered out they can move outside. If you have them inside a 60 - 75 watt light bulb will work. If you have them in a un-heated space a 250 watt heat lamp works best.

Bedding - Bedding is what you put on the bottom of your brooder to make your chicks comfortable and for ease of cleaning. You can use straw or pine shavings. Never use CEDER shavings they are toxic to small animals. Once they move out they still will need bedding, straw works the best then. For the first 2 weeks use paper towels till they learn what there feed is.

Feed - You can ethier feed them medicated or un-medicated feed. I like the medicated feed to help them not get Coccidiosis. When you first get them put there feed in a small dish to make sure they find the feed. Somtimes they are to short to reach the feeding trays, so don't use them till they are tall enough to reach the tray.

Water - When you first get your chicks dip their beaks in water so they will know where their water is. Some people put sugar in chicks water if they have been shipped. I don't unless they have had a hard time during shipping. Put marbles in there water for the first two weeks so they will not drown.

Last - Have Fun, even though it is hard at times. Chickens get big real fast. So enjoy them when they are small. In no time you will be having fresh eggs or meat.

Good luck,

With your brood!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

wonderful list! Thumbs up! wish I had it before I got my chicks.

3. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Thanks!

4. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    If there is anything I didn't add please tell me so I can.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Very good! [​IMG]

6. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Thanks!

7. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Edited - to make some stuff make more since.

8. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    thanks for the list...
    i just got my first ever chicks,.. so im learning.
    [​IMG]

9. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Your welcome!

10. Bubba1

Bubba1 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    Thanks - i am brand new and am ordering my chicks this week. 5 of 5 different breeds. Kids are amped. Nice to have essential info in one place in a recent post. Wish us luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by