What you wish you'd known . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coloradowildflower, Feb 21, 2017.

1. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    Getting ready to start our first incubation adventure in early March. What do you wish you had known on your first hatch?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Don't over think it. It's not as scary as it sounds. If you have any specific questions fell free to ask.

1 person likes this.
  3. MerleMice

MerleMice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    Let's see... It's been a long time since my first incubation, but I wish I'd known about dry incubation then.

2 people like this.
  4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I wish I'd known that it's a must to check all thermometers and hygrometers for accuracy. Lost almost all my chicks in my first hatch due to a faulty thermometer (6 degrees off) that was brand new. And that it's best to have at least 2 thermometers in the bator.

I also wish that I had known how to monitor air cells for proper growth to know how to adjust humidity.

I also wish I knew that there are many ways to successfully incubate and hatch and that a lot of hatch "rules" are unnecessary. There are hands off hatchers and hands on hatchers and neither way is "right" as long as you are successful. You find what works for YOU regardless of what others say.

Guess I wished I knew a lot more than I did.... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Go Habs Go Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I wish I knew that there is a certain height you need to measure temp at in still air incubators. Not knowing wrecked my hatch.

1 person likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Don't put random hatches in the same incubator.....Lesson learned....Thank The Lord for Broody hens that can help correct your mistakes........

Cheers.......

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by