What!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happyhens44, Jun 17, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Im so confused I posted a thread asking if my pekins are most likely female or male (with pics) and everyone said male well they dident honk but they dident have the drake feathers... btw mallard is 11 weeks and pekins are 9 weeks.

so new question

why was my male drake mallard trying to breed them? he wassent sucessful they kept swimming away

are they possible females... or do sometimes males try to breed each other

heres somepics of my pekins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    If the Pekins aren't quacking, they are males. My drakes' curly tail feathers always came in a little late, anywhere from 11 to 15 weeks old.

I wouldn't worry about the Mallard...if all of your ducks are the same sex males will try to mate with males and females will try to mate with females. They are strange little creatures...

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Males will try to breed other males, and females sometimes hop on other females (it's called "treading" when ducks mate) - it's a dominance thing, gender has nothing to do with it.

Voice sexing is the most accurate way to tell at the age your ducks are at - I know you already know this, but if you have females they would most definately be loudly quacking and honking at this point. If they're raspy or sound like they have laryngitis, they're males.

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    yeah i have one female I will be getting rid of one of my pekkins and getting more females

5. Vamped_out

Vamped_out New Egg

Jun 16, 2010
    Valley Springs, CA
    ok so you guys are saying that my calls ducks that i have, the REALLY loud quacking one is a female? are the males just quiet?

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Well, not quiet - my bachelor drakes are always making a ruckus - but the drakes are softer and more whispery. The one that's really loud is a girl though! [​IMG]

7. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    I agree with Annarie...I had ducks when I was a teen and it was always the females that were the loudest...remember, I'm talking ducks here!

ETA cuz I can't spell!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by