What........

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rooster brandon., Sep 11, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    WHAT DO YOU KEEP YOUR FOOD AND WATER IN FOR YOUR CHICKENS:confused: I JUST CANT FIGURE IT OUT........

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    At present I have large hanging galvanized feeder. A galvanized waterer raised up in the coop and an auto-fill waterer hooked to a hose just outside the run that they can reach through and get a drink from. I want to make a wood feeder to put along my south wall inside the coop. I sometimes feed outside but that brings wild birds.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3 bowls

1 for water
    1 for pellets
    1 for treats

Imp

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Do you have a feed store nearby? If not, you can order on internet all kinds of feeders and waterers for chickens.

Here are a few vendors I have bookmarked (but I don't want you thinking that I'm recommending them, as I may not have even ordered from them):

http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/

http://www.randallburkey.com/products.asp?dept=242

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/default.asp?CID=2&mscssid=GSJ80NSEP9W48K9U2U6VFJN5VQF9D5QD

and the hatcheries on internet might also sell some, I don't know.

Some people like the plastic waterers, and some the galvanized metal ones.

5. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Thank You And God Bless........

6. Rockerchic

Rockerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have a hanging plastic feeder for the feed, and a standing plastic jar type waterer, raised up on a cinder block. That keeps the straw out of the water, and the top of the jar isn't wide enough for the hens to stand on, and poop in the "mote" where they drink. I bought the larger water dispenser, but it just didn't work as well as the 2 quart size. Everything is trial and error for me. I love the hanging feed dispenser. It holds about a weeks worth for my 4 girls.Good luck and welcome to the world of chicken obsession.[​IMG]

7. downstownlady

downstownlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Conroe, TX
    I borrowed the bottom from a fairly large round laundry basket and a 5 gallon plastic bucket and drilled holes in it and attached it with a few nuts & bolts (4 to be exact). I drilled 1" holes near the bottom of the bucket all the way around so that the feed could fall out into outer laundry basket bottom that was attached to it. I fill it about half full every other day and it cuts down on waste tremendously. The rest I store in another couple of 5 gallon buckets. (The bucket tops at home depot have a rubber gasket in the top which seals real well to keep moisture out.) I will post a pic tomorrow...as my hubby has my card and I didn't upload it. I can't take credit for the idea, because I saw it from another smart BYCer...but I did mine just a tad differently.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I feed on the ground, so they get their ration of grit. I have several shallow troughs, & several plastic 55 gal. barrels cut off about 5" deep.

For my chicks & quail, I use the red bottomed waterers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by