Whatbreed am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bigspringshatchery, Sep 13, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I have two pullets that I thought was barred rock. But now I'm not so sure. The pattern is barred. I'm not sure if they are pure bred. I was given the eggs by an old lady. The face is what makes me wonder. They both have puffs coming out the sides of their heads.

The pattern
    [​IMG]

The face
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Haha, wow, those are barred Easter Eggers. I've only known one person to have those. Sadly that's a boy though - Unless, how old is it? If it is 5 months or older, it's a girl.

3. micschoenborn

micschoenborn Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have 2 young Dominques/Americauna (sp) crosses that look just like that.

4. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Ooh! I've wanted one of these, ever since I first saw them! [​IMG]
    Well, it looks like she's a mix: Half Auracana, thus the 'beard' and 'sideburns', and half either barred rock, barred rock cochin, black star, or even dominique; just half some kind of barred chicken (probably barred rock judging by that dark coloring). [​IMG] She's a real beauty!

And yes, she's a pullet for sure (as you already knew [​IMG]).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Yeah, Easter Eggers. [​IMG] If you take an Easter Egger (doubt it is a real Ameraucana, sorry) and a barred bird, half of your offspring will be barred - and if you breed them further, you can get barred Easter Eggers.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Araucanas don't have beards and sideburds/muffs. [​IMG]

7. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Easter egger wow. But the eggs was normal color. I'm not sure when they were born but a wild guess is 12 weeks. I hope it's not a boy. If so maybe the other one is a girl. I'll take pics of it tonight and post them. What color eggs would these lay?

8. Yazzo

Jul 23, 2010
  9. Yazzo

Jul 23, 2010
    Quote:Sorry about double posting. Anyways, it looks at LEAST 12 weeks, and a hen FOR SURE at that age. Younger, and it could be a rooster, although I doubt it. As for the color of the eggs: Auracanas (Easter Eggers) are not a recognized breed, due to the fact that many of them are crosses. The only thing that really makes an Auracana is a gene for laying green eggs (although many Auracanas lay pink or tan eggs). Since she's a cross she could lay pretty much any color of eggs.

10. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Ok thanks. If both of mine are pullets what can I breed them with to keep the puffs. I don't have EEs. And the woman roo died some I can't get more from her. If I bred my Dominique to them or one of my BRs what would the offsprings possibly look like?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by