whatcha think?-RIR

dinahmoe

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
central georgia
these are my 5 wk old RIR .i want to start showing and breeding these.hopefully i can get a few good ones out of these and i have 15 more that are a week old.these are from exhibition lines.
41488_rir1_800x600.jpg

41488_rir4_800x600.jpg

41488_rir2_800x600.jpg

41488_rir3_800x600.jpg

Quote:
they still have alot of growing to do yet.i plan on keeping them until they are 6 months and then culling.they should end up being some nice birds.

they will loose the white. Remember, dont cull to early! Just be patient. You can tell they are good stock because of the color of the feathers and skin. Still a lot of growing to do. The color will change more also.

Yeah, many young birds start out with different colors like black. Sometime they have a little white on the tips of the wings. People cull because they think it isnt in the standard but it just goes away.

dinahmoe -
Where did you get them from?

I would like to see a little better leg color ( Darker yellow and a little more Dark Red color in the shanks ) and I would like to see a more even color in the body.
But over all there not bad.. Time will tell.
You should be able to start culling good at around 6 to 8 months then aging around a year..

Chris

thanks for any info.
these are my first with reds.
i hatched them from eggs from Mr. D. Horstman.
it was getting dark on me yesterday when i took those pics.here are a couple more that i took last evening with a flash.there are a couple with really yellow legs.on the second picture you can see the legs on the ones in the cage a little better as far as the yellow.they are getting darker as they grow.some are almost maroon.i am focusing on the leg color,comb and body type right now and there are about 3 that look really good.i was told to keep them at least 6 months but ideally a year is good.
41488_rir6_600x800.jpg

41488_rir7_800x600.jpg

Dick Horstman has good bird. I have a line of his Rose Comb R.I. Reds..
You have a good start and with a little work you will have some real good birds there. I will let you know that if Dick's Single Comb Reds are like his Rose Combs they will take some time to mature. I hold onto all the chicks I hatch till they are 6 months old then cull out for obvious defects then I will cull again at a year old..
Here is a link to the R.I. Red form at BYC and I have a lot of information on Reds that you might find helpful. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=283534

Chris

Back
Top Bottom