What'chu think? Magpies or Black Sweede?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dusky Beauty, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    What do you think about these black and whites? Are they mottled magpies? or mottled black swedes?
    They have green and purple bands on their wing feathers if it helps.
    I've no idea, I'm a brown duck person.

[​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    They look like anconas or poorly marked magpies to me, but I don't know much about Swedes, so I could be wrong.

3. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Too much black and too big for anconas I think. Both of these are marked similarly with the mostly black bodies and white splashes.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Very poorly marked Black Swedish. Oh and there is no Mottled ducks breeds. Only Bibbed. [​IMG]

Anconas are a lot smoother with coloring. They are more of a patched together duck. They also call them the Paint Horses of the Duck world.

5. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    yeah, mottled is just the only adjective I could think of to describe the broken and speckled pattern.

6. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    They look a lot like my mixed Black Swedes. My group has two poorly marked but close ducks and the Dad is more white than black and the Babies look more Magpie-ish.
    All however have white wing primaries! Moms just molted out so the white is just coming back. Yeah I know, big deal but I will get some purebreds some day! I love them and think they are pretty anyway, enjoy yours!
    [​IMG]
    IN the bottom pic the three on the top half of the pic are the parents and the bottom are the babes from this year. Any opinions on whether are not that is a drake feather on the duckling with the (almost) pure white head?
    [​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Both of your ducks are BEAUTIFUL!!!

They look like (poorly marked) black sweeds to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by