Whatever happened to Big Boy

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BooBear, May 8, 2011.

1. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Big Boy was one of 5 Blue Wyandotte roosters that I got from Privett in my straight run order. I only wanted to keep one rooster and chose Lester to be the main rooster for the girls. Lester has been a really good choice.

Big Boy was sent to the bachlor pen along with Long Tail, Jester, and Rupert waiting for when I got all my processing equipment together to do the deed. During the waiting period Dad kept mentioning how he wanted to give our friends one of the roosters as Mr. M always made commits about how he preferred skinning to plucking. I told Dad to pick one out to take to him. Dad picked Big Boy due to his nice size and put him in a cardboard box to take to Mr. M who lives down the street from us. Mr. M and his family were surprised and happy to get the rooster. They put him in a dog carrier until they could process him for dinner.

Well the day arrived and it looked to be the end of Big Boy; however as Mrs. M opened the cage Big Boy took the opportunity to make his escape. They were unable to catch him and did not see him. It was assumed that he probably got taken by a local predator as there are many in our area.

2 months later after Big Boys escape while driving home I looked to the right at the house that is catty cornered to Mr. M's place and lo and behold there is Big Boy! There was no mistaking the big blue rooster with the rose comb in that yard. I thought it was funny and at the same time happy for Big Boy as it looked like he found a new home even if it was a house over. The house right across from Mr. M has a flock of game chickens that free range all the time. I told Dad about it as soon as I got home.

Dad was curious so he kept looking to see if he could spot Big Boy. Sure enough a day later he sees him. We have never seen chickens at the house Big Boy is hanging out at but Dad thinks he is drawn to the hens next door and hanging on the edges of that flock. Big Boy is one determined rooster that does not want to be dinner. Hope he has a nice home and gets to have a nice life.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You go Big Boy! [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It just wasn't his day to die!

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Saw him again this morning. He looks good. Wonder if he will enable his new folks to get him some girls?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

6. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    you need to take a pic of him!!!!!! im [​IMG] dieing to see him!

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I have some older pics of him at home. He looks much more mature now though.
    When I get home will post a pic of him.

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Here is an older picture of Lester and Big Boy.
    Big Boy is on the right of the picture.
    [​IMG]

He definitely has filled out more since this older picture was taken.

9. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    You were gonna butcher him?????? HE IS SOOOO HANDSOME!!!!

10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Yep, got them for eggs n meat. Lester developed more toward SQ than Big Boy.
    Extra roosters are eaten at my house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by