1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Whatever will the neighbors think?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lengel, Jul 29, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I spent the entire day rebuilding the chicken enclosure so wish us luck tonight. I have to say though that it's a hodgepodge. I layered various materials as overhead cover. I stuck the chicken coop at a weird angle at the corner, bunched chicken wire and hardware cloth wherever there was the tiniest gap, etc. Then I surrounded the place with Havaharts baited with dead hens and marshmallows in an attempt to cover a variety of possible predators. This in addition to the floodlight on a motion detector. I don't plan on losing my hens on a regular basis.

Soooo, my neighbors are the kind of people who think that a nice lawn and pretty paint job are the be all end all and frequently ask us when we are planning to upgrade our own lawn (no time soon!). Can't imagine what they're thinking now! I really just want them to ask about the marshmallow coated carcasses in those traps.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My neighbors are the same way. If he saw one dandilion in his lawn he pulls it out and burns it [​IMG] I was so worried about him being an obstructionist in my new hobby. So i went to him and asked him if he had a problem with it..........I nearly fell over backwards when he said 'no problem at all....in fact, i love chickens and i grew up on a farm and we had hundreds of chickens. I love to hear a rooster crowing in the morning' [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  3. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Actually, we have a silent agreement. I give them eggs and they don't say anything. I may have overdone it this time though. We'll have to see. [​IMG]

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    As long as there are no CC&Rs or laws against having chickens go for it. If he says anything, ask him Who's property is it and who is paying the bills here? If he would like to pay for the property and the bills, you might think about it for a minute, then tell him to go suck an egg.

5. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Hmmmmmmm.........stockade fence works [​IMG] Unless your totally enjoying this [​IMG] I am thinking you should be posting a picture of this creation of yours [​IMG]

6. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I've been having problems with my camera otherwise I would.

DH wanted to convert an Airstream camper into a coop and stick it in the backyard. Gotta love a supportive spouse.

7. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Sure, just put a Camo tarp over it so they wont see it [​IMG]

8. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    I would like to read how this story ends with your neighbors! I live in a neighborhood where everyone has at least a 1/3rd of acher of land. Some have more some have the average lot size.

Since the neighborhood is well established without any deed restrictions since the board was desolved many many years ago, we all keep our yards in tip top condition... There are a few families that need help during the summer with the height of their grass... Yet, we all pitch in.

BUT - there is always the new guy!

Our newest neighbor moved from a deed restricted neighborhood to ours. You would think that he would be less stressed and live and let live, but not him... He's on the band wagon to start a new board and start enforcing old rules and he is breaking the rules he wants to put in place... No RVs and he has the biggest one on the block.... No Boats and again, he has the biggest on the block.

I can't wait for him to lay an egg over the two new chicken coops going up on either side of him and the possible pet goats going in across the street!!!

Some folks just don't get it... Good luck with your!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Fingers crossed for you! [​IMG] Good luck!

10. lengel

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I think a lot of our differences (so far amicable but weird - we never tell them what to do with their property) have been over personal taste. We have four acres, they have eight. Last year, they hired a guy to clear the better part of their acreage so that they could landscape it. At then end of it, it looked like a moonscape. They planted new trees to replace the old. It was creepy for us. We love our old trees and prefer a "wilder" look and feel. I'd rather have trails through the woods than wide open spaces that we're not doing anything with anyway.

They really pressured us to hire their guys to clear our land. We said no. We are however very nice about sharing what we have so I hope that it doesn't go any further. It is very weird to be told what someone else wants us to do with our property. I always hated homeowners associations and stuff like that. Don't let him do it, Ladysonja!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by