What's a bb size dose?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MessicaShain, Mar 9, 2017.

1. MessicaShain

MessicaShain Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    I have ivermectin past 1.87% and need to dose one sick chicken. I'm also treating for cocci. She's been sick over a month and hasn't been treated for anything. I was told to just try to get her weight up. She's isolated in a large dog kennel in her own bedroom. Less than one year. Buff orp. Sweet little chicken. Only eats lettuce tomato and bell peppers. I'm force feeding a gruel. Almost put her down today because for the first time ever she looked pathetic last night but when I came to load her up for the deed she was eating her yogurt so we are gonna give her one last aggressive chance. I'm gonna force feed aggressively for a couple days then medicate. I was scared to worm her before because she was so weak but this is it. Wish us luck!
    What's the dosage for one sick chicken? Her poop is dark brown right now. Almost normal looking... not sure what else to add. Very underweight large bird.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. MessicaShain

Feb 9, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. amaugans

amaugans Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2016
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. MessicaShain

Feb 9, 2017
    [​IMG]

She had a good afternoob outside. She hasn't been out in a while due to serious rain but she's back in and her crop feels super full. Which makes me so happy. I did force feed about 15 mls. Wish us luck.

5. MessicaShain

Feb 9, 2017

Not sure how to read this. The bottom part that says chickens doesn't seem to be referring to ivermectin.

6. amaugans

Apr 29, 2016
    Ohio
    The very top starts talking about treating for parasites. I would go with the 0.2mg/kg either by mouth or topically. However.... I am not convinced that your chickens problem is all parasites? Have you tested fecals or anything? May benefit from antibiotics and pain meds... But I don't know. Good luck.

7. amaugans

Apr 29, 2016
    Ohio
    You could always adjust dose/give half dose...whatever you feel comfortable with. I just had this in my phone from when I treated my rooster for scaley leg mites. Thought it might help

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  8. MessicaShain

Feb 9, 2017
    I was told by the owner of my chicken and hay feed store that she has cocci. She had all the symptoms.. now she just acts anerexic. Will only eat lettuce and tomatoes. And yogurt.
    Sometimes avocado.
    I'm force feeding fat and protein rich foods now. I stopped but she declined so I'm starting again and gonna medicate. Antibiotics are another option I will try. My vets don't treat chickens so I'm on my own! Gettingreat corid tomorrow. I'll see if the feed place in the next town over has antibiotics too! Thanks. Totally forgot about that option and I think it'd be smart to try.

9. amaugans

Apr 29, 2016
    Ohio
    Also avocado is EXTREMELY toxic and deadly in parrots... so I would be concerned if you were feeding to chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by