What's a better choice...RIR or Plymouth Barded Rock?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Rosaleen, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    A friend is giving me fertile eggs to hatch...she has RIR and Bard Rocks. As far as meat birds, which would be a better choice?

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Both are considered a dual purpose bird, which means they lay well, and get a bit of meat on them, but nothing compared to a meat breed. We have found that a Barred Rock is usually bigger than an RIR.

3. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Depends.....I would choose BRs because they mature a little faster are these from hatchery stock? or a farm flock where they've been selected for fast growth? Both lay eggs well......pick the color you like and hatch them out all roosters taste mighty fine to me

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

For what? Friendliness? Egg production?

My BR's are the friendliest and most vocal. Very good egg layers.

I've read that they are about the same for egg production. What ever you prefer to look at in your hen house I guess! [​IMG]

ETA: Didn't read you were looking for meat birds.. Why wouldn't you just get broilers or meat kings?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. aoxa

Quote:Actually, BR mature very slowly... [​IMG]

Their feather growth is much slower than other breeds..

6. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    Quote:They are farm raised. I already have some BR hens and may keep a rooster and a few more hens from this next batch.

7. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I purchased 30 barred rock and 15 RI pullet chicks in may at the same time. I am getting around 22 eggs a day from the Rock pen. Still waiting for a egg from the red girls

8. aoxa

Quote:They are farm raised. I already have some BR hens and may keep a rooster and a few more hens from this next batch.

Take some of both.. I would.

9. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I have an idea, get some of both and see which one you like best for next time.....because no matter what you think you wll get more from her next year.

scott

10. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Quote:Actually, BR mature very slowly... [​IMG]

Their feather growth is much slower than other breeds..

Not birds bred for show but birds bred to do their job......sadly they haven't been chosen for fast feathering but they can be some strains feather up quicker. I always cull mine that take too long feather in all my breeds to me slow feathering is not a good trait and it can be improved on many on this board have crossed show to hatchery and have gotten some very nice "farm type" birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by