whats a good breed for cold places?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cowgirlSD, Dec 28, 2013.

1. cowgirlSD

cowgirlSD Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    hi folks,

i live in sd, and want to get some chickens (have horses now.) what is a good chicken to get for cold places?

cgsd

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Google the Henderson chicken chart, You might enjoy looking through it, breeds are rated for their weather hardiness.

3. cowgirlSD

Dec 28, 2013
    i will, thanks!

4. cowgirlSD

Dec 28, 2013
    lets see: ameracana, brahma, buckeye, chantaclear, delaware, domnique, favarolls, jersey giant, orpington, plymouth rock, some fun looking chickens there, thanks!

5. Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Brahmas, Speckled Sussex, any type of cochin (i hear they aren't good layers though) the list goes on for a while, but i've had most of these and they're good birds.

6. cowgirlSD

Dec 28, 2013
    thanks for the list! we want eggs, but also maybe meat. are those good for both?

7. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Barred Rocks. They loved the ice. They went about their business as usual. Dual purpose, too. My girls are great layers. They're still laying now. Very friendly. They follow us everywhere.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    I have black jersey giants and they are great.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Wyandottes with a rose comb I think are best especially the roos. I have several breeds that are cold hardy but always have to put vaseline on the single comb roos so they don't get frostbite.Our winters here it is not uncommon to have -20F to -30F degree weather, not including the wind chill. Wyandottes are a duel purpose breed and are good layers.

1 person likes this.
  10. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Yes, Wyandottes or any of the other dual-purpose breeds that don't have single combs -- Buckeye, Chantecler, Easter Egger (not a breed, I know), Brahma, Dominique, and so on. Stay away from the single-comb birds, though. And I don't think purebred Cornish are good for cold weather, either, as they have such tight feathering that they don't have enough insulation.

Kathleen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by