whats a good breed for cold places?

cowgirlSD

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
hi folks,

i live in sd, and want to get some chickens (have horses now.) what is a good chicken to get for cold places?

cgsd

lets see: ameracana, brahma, buckeye, chantaclear, delaware, domnique, favarolls, jersey giant, orpington, plymouth rock, some fun looking chickens there, thanks!

thanks for the list! we want eggs, but also maybe meat. are those good for both?

Barred Rocks. They loved the ice. They went about their business as usual. Dual purpose, too. My girls are great layers. They're still laying now. Very friendly. They follow us everywhere.

Wyandottes with a rose comb I think are best especially the roos. I have several breeds that are cold hardy but always have to put vaseline on the single comb roos so they don't get frostbite.Our winters here it is not uncommon to have -20F to -30F degree weather, not including the wind chill. Wyandottes are a duel purpose breed and are good layers.

Yes, Wyandottes or any of the other dual-purpose breeds that don't have single combs -- Buckeye, Chantecler, Easter Egger (not a breed, I know), Brahma, Dominique, and so on. Stay away from the single-comb birds, though. And I don't think purebred Cornish are good for cold weather, either, as they have such tight feathering that they don't have enough insulation.

Kathleen

Back
Top Bottom