1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what's a good chicken treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicksnducks, May 16, 2007.

1. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    I have been giving the chickies scraps of veggies but wanted to know what would really be a treat for them?

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    How old are they?

3. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    they vary ....six to eight weeks...they also live with three ducks....

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Have you tried crumbled bread, chopped up boiled eggs, grains of wheat, grass from your lawn mower? Let them eat it out of your hands and call them when you give it to them. Soon they will run to you when ever you come out and put your hand down. [​IMG]

5. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We give ours some steamed rice off the top of the steamer that still has some firmness to it. They love it and will run all over the place chasing each other to try and get the last of it. Our adults mainly eat rice so for them it is an everyday thing but they still enjoy it mixed in with some of their regular crumbles.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  6. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    For a special treat, my husband will bring home a bag of crickets from the bait shop. When we dump them out in the run, it's like watching little kids when the pinata breaks! The other day, 9 girls wiped out approx. 100 crickets in a little over a minute.

7. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    ok thanks...I will try the grass and crumbled bread and maybe even the crickets....
    I appreciate all the advice you all give!
    I sure am loving my chickies!!!

8. bayourouge

bayourouge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    central Louisiana
    i havent tried the crickets yet but rice, pasta, wheat bread and fruit are all hits over here

9. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    and all this time I thought that DH stood for DEAR husband!!!![​IMG]

10. ChickieDee

ChickieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    We have a surplus store here where I get cheap cereal(missing the box or has been taped shut). I buy it for a treat for my rabbit but every time I take it out to her hutch guess who all come running for their cereal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by