What's a good food for weight gain ???????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DDRanch, Dec 23, 2008.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    My friend's rooster is recovering from a severe infestation of mites. He spent 3 days at the vet and is now home again. She is concerned because he has lost weight and doesn't have much of an appetite.

What is a good food (besides his regular pellets) to help him gain back weight? He remains lethargic. She, of course, loves this bird and after a $300. vet bill, wants to keep him around. I told her I would ask the experts.......

Thanks for your suggestions. Mr. Clover thanks you too.
    Anne

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Boiled egg yolk would be good. It has all the necessary requirements to build a baby chick. Wishing the roo a speedy recovery!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Bread, eggs, yogurt, cheese, cracked corn

Geez same foods that make me fat.

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Ours love yogurt mixed with oatmeal & Grits, eggs scrambled with olive-oil, or yogurt and mashed bananas mixed with grower rations!!!

[​IMG]

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I just started feeding my birds some grains mixed in with their crumbles and saw how much fat and protein was in them! Flax, sunflower and safflower are great for fat! You can sometimes get them in the wild bird section of the feed store.

6. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have passed all this along to my friend and Mr. Clover is getting a whole lot of great food starting last night. I am grateful for this site.

Anne and the girls.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A good food for weight gain? Apparently anything I eat.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Eggs, cheese and yogurt wont make you fat UNLESS you need to gain weight. These are very healthy fats. Corn and wheat will make you gain weight in a heart beat.

9. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Quote:Hate to burst your bubble![​IMG] Good for you fats such as what comes from Flax seeds, sunflower, coconut, etc etc will make people lose weight-but they are extremely healthy for both chicken and chicken lovers alike![​IMG] It may make him healthy enough that he does gain weight back though![​IMG]

10. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    I posted a similar question not too long ago. The food item that completely got my hen back into the eating game was beef liver cooked in olive oil. I pureed it into a pate and she couldn't stop herself from eating it.

Good luck!
    -C

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by