What's a good food for weight gain ???????

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
My friend's rooster is recovering from a severe infestation of mites. He spent 3 days at the vet and is now home again. She is concerned because he has lost weight and doesn't have much of an appetite.

What is a good food (besides his regular pellets) to help him gain back weight? He remains lethargic. She, of course, loves this bird and after a $300. vet bill, wants to keep him around. I told her I would ask the experts.......

Thanks for your suggestions. Mr. Clover thanks you too.
Anne

Ours love yogurt mixed with oatmeal & Grits, eggs scrambled with olive-oil, or yogurt and mashed bananas mixed with grower rations!!!

big_smile.png

I just started feeding my birds some grains mixed in with their crumbles and saw how much fat and protein was in them! Flax, sunflower and safflower are great for fat! You can sometimes get them in the wild bird section of the feed store.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have passed all this along to my friend and Mr. Clover is getting a whole lot of great food starting last night. I am grateful for this site.

Anne and the girls.

Eggs, cheese and yogurt wont make you fat UNLESS you need to gain weight. These are very healthy fats. Corn and wheat will make you gain weight in a heart beat.

Quote:
Hate to burst your bubble!
cool.png
Good for you fats such as what comes from Flax seeds, sunflower, coconut, etc etc will make people lose weight-but they are extremely healthy for both chicken and chicken lovers alike!
celebrate.gif
It may make him healthy enough that he does gain weight back though!
wee.gif

I posted a similar question not too long ago. The food item that completely got my hen back into the eating game was beef liver cooked in olive oil. I pureed it into a pate and she couldn't stop herself from eating it.

Good luck!
-C

Back
Top Bottom