What's a good Place to set up a Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KatsChicks, Jan 18, 2014.

1. KatsChicks

KatsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    Hi, I would like to raise some Chicks for the first time this Coming Spring and was wondering where to set up the Brooder? I do have a Garage but I do need to open the Garage Door often so I think it would get way to drafty in there. Do most People set it up in the House? Or Basement? Also what's best to keep them in? I saw that MC Murray Hatchery sells a Cardboard Circle but I think it won't work for me since I do have Cats so I need it to be more secure.
    Thanks
    Kathrin

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I like to set up a large cardboard box in the house. That way I can use a 60 or 75 watt light bulb depending on the size of the box....bigger the better off you are, they really grow fast. Wire over the top and you are good to go. It's easy to keep a close eye if they are in the house, and you can always move them to the garage after 4 weeks. Be sure to always have a thermometer in the brooder so you actually know what the temp is in their invironment...good luck

bigz

3. KatsChicks

KatsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    Thanks Bigz! How many Chicks do you keep in a Large Box? Would wood Shavings with News Paper on Top be good for the Floor?

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, that would be perfect bedding. It depends on your box size. I have a large box that my computer came in. I had 20 chicks in there last time. When they out grew the box, I cut a hole in the side and taped another box to it creating a separate room...kinda funny how scared they were to go into the new space....however once one bird does something new, the rest join in...LOL!

Different stores like furniture, or appliance , or even grocery stores can provide a nice big free box....look around and see what you can find.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Refrigerator box!

Newspapers can be slippery and cause splayed legs, paper towels or puppy pads work better for the first few days.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by