Whats a good treat for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k2chickens, Apr 23, 2009.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    I had a sick chick today so i made up some crumbled feed with some apple cider vinegar and the healthy chicks were intrigued so i let them try and they loved it! I was wondering if any one knew any treats 2 week old chicks would like?

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

Fresh fruit and vegies are good as well as bread if it's in small pecies so they can eat it oh and if you can get anything like crickets or roaches, something that scurries fast, they will love it!! Hope that helps>

3. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    okay that sounds good. I was just worried since they were still hens whether or not I could start feeding them that stuff?

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Treats should be given in very small quantities if at all when chicks are young. They need the chick feed. And if you feed much other than yogurt as a treat, they will probably need grit. Adult chicken grit is available in feed stores but too big for young chickens. People feed parakeet grit or just bring some river sand in from outdoors. Some feed stores stock grit for young chickens as well.

Hens are female chickens over one year old. Roosters are male chickens over one year old. Younger females = pullets. Younger males = cockerels.

Might as well get the terminology down, right?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mush up their crumbles with water.
    Mine love it, they think it's a treat but they are still getting the needed nutrition instead of filling up on treats.

I also give them any bugs that are un lucky enough to come in my house (or sometimes the bugs find their own way to the brooder light!!) but it's not enough for them to fill up on. If you feed bugs you will need to offer grit. I got sand and tiny tiny gravel from my driveway and offer it free choice.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  6. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:lol sorry i meant chicks but was talking about hens when i was typing this my mistake!

So i was worried since they were still two week old CHICKS!!!!

7. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:Yeah today i feed them ACV water downed crumbles that was on the end of a tooth pick and they went crazy!

I think I will just continue giving them water downed crumbles this way just not use the ACV water!

They really enjoyed me dangling the watered crumbles on a toothpick it was a treat having it dangle for them i think!

8. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    I've heard that many people give strawberries

9. BabyChickNewbie

BabyChickNewbie New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    Quote:So if I feed my 4-5wk olds a cricket every couple of days, should I be giving them grit? My son loves to watch them chase each other over the cricket. Thanks.
    Cockerel Newbie, Shawna

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  10. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Yep, get GRITTY! Sorry, no caffeine yet this morning...oh who am I kidding, I'm just a dork! ANYway...those babies need a little grit and it's not hard to add, just sprinkle it in with their food and they'll eat it up, yum yum yum. You should post a youtube video of the chicks eating crickets tee hee! Well have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by