What's a good way to remove crap from a chickens backside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Poliwag, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I have a couple of chickens that have this big pile of crap sticking out from their backsides and it isn't easy to remove as it is stuck to their fur and it hurts them when I try to pull it off.

Anyone know of a safe and easy way to remove it?

Edit: They are only about a week old.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    If you soak their back ends in some warm water for a minute or two it should come off pretty easily with a moistened paper towel. This is called pasty butt - if you type it in the search engine you'll get tons of info!

3. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Everything I read says it's deadly if not removed....

and it even says something about a tooth pick to "unplug" the vent/poop hole....

I'd go for a nice warm sitz bath on the bum quickly...before it's too late...

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    you could also try trimming a few areas with a scissors, then wash back end in warm water with mild dishwashing liquid and rinse well. you should also make sure to dry the hen with a blowdryer because they can get chilled (even in warm weather) if their feathers are wet.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    After soaking in warm water take a Q tip and dip it in some olive oil or vege oil and rub it on their vent area and that won't happen again. Do that daily. In another week you won't have to worry about that anymore. Good luck!
    ETA...I put my chicks vent area right under running warm water and took a Qtip and just moved it around a bit and it took about 2 min for it to soften up and start falling off. Its very easy to remove and if left on they will die.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Ok, I think I got most of it off. They are now all in a box with a light. Is the blowdryer such a good idea for such small chickens?

7. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I had a pasty but silkie last week. I soaked the rear and used a flea comb to get the poo off. Then trimmed the fluff. Put vaseline covering the whole rear area. It really help getting poo off later. Also I did the oatmeal treat (cooked) and it was cleared up in a couple of days. Now she has a naked clean dry butt.

Good luck.

8. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    i just grab the fuzz that is all stuck together and yank it out really fast..it leaves the area bare and they wont have that problem anymore.

9. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:OUCH! sounds like a band-aid removal...I would run when my mom wanted to take off a band-aid! LOL [​IMG]

10. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Everything I read, says it's better to gently blow dry (low warm setting) but let's see what more experienced folks say... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by