What's a Langshire?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jill Richardson, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Jill Richardson

Jill Richardson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2009
    Hi,
    I'm getting a few chickens from someone and they told me the breed is Blue Langshire, adding that they are probably spelling the name wrong. I can't find anything even close to that - except for Langshan - by looking online. Anyone heard of a Langshire? What is it?

Thanks,
    Jill

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Probably langshan

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x2 very nice clam birds

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. chickensbirds

chickensbirds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    No, this is NOT a Langshan. A Langshire is a very beautiful, HUGE giant chicken, originating I think in China. They seem to be readily available in the UK but not easy to find in the USA. Some of these birds are wll over 2 feet tall. It will shock you when you see one.
    good temperments too, if they have adequate room to forage.

5. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Do you know of any links, with information concerning this breed? I have't come up with anything except the Lincolnshire.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  6. chickensbirds

chickensbirds Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    Not at the moment, but i knew an elderly breeder here in GA who owned several of them. He sold all his pheasants and chickens a few years back when his health went bad. I might be able to contact him to see who he sold his birds to. They might be the only ones available in the states.

If I dont get back to you by Monday, please remind me, as I wanted some of his pheasant bloodlines.
    KM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by