Whats a normal hatching rate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UBkevy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I am thinking of trying to get 4-6 silkie hens and having them in a nursery coup. Then have them hatch fertile eggs that I will buy. I just need to know the hatch rate of eggs that are raised by a chicken. My goal is to hatch 20 hens a year so that means approx 40 chicks and will need to know how many eggs I would need. Then i would know if my 4-6 silkies would be able to do the job

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Shipped hatching eggs usually have a low hatch rate. I would say 25% average and if you get a higher hatch rate sometimes, consider it a bonus.

Lanae

3. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I ordered hatching eggs and got 9 out of 12 in my last hatch

4. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I have had 0 hatch out of 24 and 29 out of 30 hatch another time. There is no way to know what percentage will hatch. Now the first time I was using one of those metal Sears incubators tha was junk. Second time I was using a Roll-x. I have had 100% hatches with my eggs more times than not with it.

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're buying shipped eggs then the average hatch is 50% so you need 80 eggs a year. If they aren't shipped it will be less. I would use 80 as the most you need to buy.

6. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    What is normal rates for your own eggs?
    At what age does fertility peak?
    Does method of incubation have much to do with it? UBkevy and I are both talking about using broodies, but Ted and Jan discuss results with two vastly different incubators they tried.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by