What's a PIP? Got some other questions too!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by can you hear me now?, Jul 25, 2008.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    first of all I am hatching my first eggs soon and I want to know what a pip is. I see it all of the time but I don't know what I am looking for. Also looking for advise on candling. How long should I candle for before it is too late and not to pick up eggs? I also see that my brown eggs have gone opaque. They are almost to day 21. Is that normal of shoule Ibe able to see something?Any feedback wold be appreciated, I would like to spare myself from own ignorance.

edited to add this
    Also will they stop moving when they are closer to hatching?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Congrats on your first attempt at hatching! I wish you all the best! I know you will get super great advice just like I did when I first started and didn't know myself what a pip was. [​IMG] AH but now I can tell you............A PIP, is when a chick first cracks the egg from the inside trying to hatch itself out. You will see it. Don't worry about that. At that time you will also hear it peeping and chirping!
    Here take a look at this site. http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Week2-3/Day18.html ebonykawai was nice enough to provide it to me. It has helped immensly! Good luck! [​IMG]

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    thanx i hope i am doing it right it isn't a self eplanatory thing yet but I hope i will feel that way eventually.

4. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    As far as candling goes, Follow the chart. Day 18 is normal and then wait. Of course I have a hard time doing that! Also remember a few seconds out of the bator won't hurt them just like the hen coming off the eggs for a spell to eat/drink wont hurt the chicks either. I don't know about the eggs going opaque. Sorry about that. Mine don't change. I am on day 20 and so far I have 4. 2 born and 2 pipped.
    Check out my other post on "Ebay eggs are here"
    Edited to add..........And no they become quite active when they are ready to come out!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by