What's a poop bored?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MeatKing, Jan 11, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok that may be a silly question, but were very new to the whole chicken thing, and we are buliding a coup for layers and turkery's. There will be seperate pens. What are the must haves? Is a poop bored one of thses must haves?
    Thank-you in advance

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Poop board...aka...Droppings board is a wide board that is elevated off the ground and under the roost. Since birds poop more when on the roost the poop board catches most of the dropping and scraping the board is easier than shoveling out shavings. Use the search feature in the upper right corner to find many posts with great pictures on this subject.

oh yes, welcome to BYC, you can spend lots of time here picking up tricks and idea's....

ON

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I highly recommend a poop board. Makes cleaning out a lot easier. I have a wire floor in my coop, so the board sits right on the floor. In most of the coop the poop falls right through the wire, but under the roosts it tends to pile up. So the poop board makes keeping the coop tidy easier.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They are not "must haves," but they sure make clean-up quick and easy, especially in a walk-in type coop. Here is mine, but I only have a few chickens. People who have quite a few birds use them too. Most folks just use a putty knife or something along those lines and a bucket, quickly scrape the nightly dropping into the bucket, and throw it in the compost pile or wherever....takes about a minute for me, a few minutes maybe for people who have bigger coops.
    [​IMG]

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Nice setup there, teach1rusl!

I also use a poop board. Not necessary, but very convenient for keeping things tidy. The one above has an area underneath for the feeder, giving extra floor space for the chickens. Mine has nestboxes underneath. And only one roost above.

Lots of different ways to do it.

6. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank-you so much everyone. Will be adding this to our new coop for sure!
    Organics North- So glad you let me know about that search button. I always thought it was kind've like an ad, and link to they entire web. Good to know
    teach1rusl . Thanks for the pic, good to see it set-up! Getting excited for our new coop

7. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Meat King,
    Yep me to...Took a while for to realize it was not for searching the entire web too.

vstoltzfus
    Does that work out well having the nest boxes under the poop board? I am considering doing that myself.

Teach,
    Thanks for the pic.. I have a wide board just like that but only one roost. IMO it really makes extra space in the coop. (The girls sometimes hang out on the poop board for afternoon naps.) I keep it clean..

ON

8. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I used 1/2" OSB with linoleum glued on top. Works great. Make it about 24" wide and equal length or even a bit longer than roost, and place roost 12' from wall. Scrape daily [​IMG] to keep coop smelling clean, and to keep humidity and ammonia gas from building up in coop. I use a stainless steel 8" drywall finishing knife.

9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Yeah, I like the nests under the poop board. Actually, my poop board is just the top of the nest boxes. I put wood shavings on top, under the roost, and then I clean the poop off every morning. I just scoop it up with a kitty litter scoop and a garden trowel, and deposit it into a coffee can. Then it goes to the compost heap. It just takes a minute, and everything is clean. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by