1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's a reasonable "rooster rate" ? 20% roosters from MyPetChicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CatawbaCoops, Jul 22, 2008.

1. CatawbaCoops

CatawbaCoops Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    I've had to give away 20% of my urban flock once they started crowing even though I ordered hens. Is this a reasonable failure rate? I wrote them an email a few days ago, and have yet to hear back.

It's been a disappointing weekend at the Bissette household. 20% of our hens are roosters and must leave our urban location. We experienced delay after delay after delay with the shipment. We FINALLY received our package of easter eggers on/around March 24th and completely enjoyed brooding them with a 100% success rate. However, over the course of the past week, we've had to get rid of 20% of the birds. My agreement with the neighbors say: No roosters.

This of course is disappointing for me as I had spent the additional money to ensure that we received all hens (in order to avoid a situation exactly like this one). However, it's been more disappointing for the kids because we've had to send "Glenn" and "Sunburst" and several other of their pets off to an animal rescue farm.

I think that since your website bills itself as a pet chicken website, and knowing that a good portion of your client base is using the birds as pets, it would be appropriate for your staff to be more careful in sexing the birds in order to avoid the heartbreak we've experienced of having to get rid not just one, but many birds that the children have an emotional attachment to.

Regards,
    Dave Bissette​

2. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    most hatcheries guarantee their sexing to 90%, which means that 20% is fairly high. of course, the smaller your initial order, the higher the resultant percentage will be if you have a rooster in the mix.

i believe mypetchicken.com goes through meyer hatchery which does have a 90% guarantee, so you'll probably get a credit for one of your roosters.

3. CatawbaCoops

CatawbaCoops Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    So should I contact Meyer Hatchery since I haven't received a response from MyPetChicken?

4. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I wanna know, too: 20% of what?

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    20% is too high...I have ordered from MM two years in a row and it has been 100% females.

BTW...Are you any relation to a Jack Bissette in Wilmington? He was a former business partner of mine.

6. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:that might be a last resort. i'd wait on MPC and see what they come back with. i've been through MPC's site and am not finding a sexing guarantee there. they may not honour their hatchery's guarantee. then again, they might. *shrugs*

good luck!

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I got my birds from a local feed and grain, I don't know what hatchery they bought from, but my rate was also 20% roosters. 15 birds, 3 roosters. I'm not happy having to give up a buff orp and two of my three golden laced wyandottes. I'm hoping to pick up some older pullets this September.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, if you got 5 birds and one was a rooster... it's not really that bad. If you got 500 birds and had 100 roosters, then the hatchery had some bad luck. It's hard with such a small number but if there is a 90% gaurentee, it should be able to honor it. If not. Well, tough luck.

9. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    MyPetChicken will give you a credit for the difference due to the sexing error. Just let them know. It's a small company and very hands on so just either e-mail them or call. They will get in touch with you because they want you happy.

10. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    i think my wife did a great job starting us out ...she got 9 from TSC and we ended up with 3 roo's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by