1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

whats a sizzle?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninny, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    I was wondering what makes a sizzle? I know its a frizzle / silkie but does it have the silkie feathering or hard feathers?

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Hello, I did a search and put in sizzle, There are a lot of posts on them. I only did a: TOPIC SUBJECT ONLY search. Hope this helps. Now I can go back and see what they are. [​IMG]

OMGoodness. They are sooooo cute. I want some.

http://www.knightschicks.com/sizzles.html

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    From what I have gathered... which isn;t much... but MAYBE enough [​IMG]

A Sizzle is a frizzle feathered Silkie (ie reg feathering)

and a Silkie with Frizzled Silkie feathering is a Frizzled Silkie????

Hold on... I think I bookmarked it somewhere... be right back to correct my post no doubt
    LOL

Sizzles: Sizzles originated with a cross between a silkie and a frizzled cochin. Through generations of breeding only the hard feathering of the cochin characteristics remain. All other characteristics are silkie in nature. They have beards, topknots, dark skin, five toes, walnut combs and are feather footed. This means if you have a sizzle, you have a silkie with soft fluffy CURLY feathering.

Frizzled Silkies: These are silkies with silkie feathering (as opposed to the hard feathering of the sizzles) that display the curling characteristic. Because of the nature of silkie feathering the curling is not as apparent. Thus you end up with a silkie that looks like it has stuck its beak in a light socket

4. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    from what i've heared its a frizzle mixed w/ a silkie they call it sizzle cause they're so hot! lol [​IMG]

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Speaking of frizzles and sizzles and silkies and so on -- does anyone know how sensitive any of them are to cold, since their feathers don't lay flat?

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    New Hampshire winters don't seem to bother our Silkies.

7. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks for the info!

Can anyone comment on the frizzles and/or sizzles and their cold tolerance?

8. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    Quote:well u should be more careful w/ them, they don't have as much body fat as other breeds and their toes a vulnerable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by