Whats a White Rock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gabe4223, Jun 22, 2011.

1. gabe4223

gabe4223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Montgomery County,Texas
    I have narrowed my flock choices to down to three Birds
    1. Black Austrolorp
    2. Ameraucana
    3. Dominique

But i cant decide on the Fourth. My local feed store sells a WHite Rock and they say its a good dual purpose bird. Im not sure. They also have A New Hampshire. Whats a white rock and which would you choose if you were me?

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    A white rock is a white plymouth rock. I would go with the Dominiques [​IMG]

3. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    i would go with black astrop or dominiqes but the dominiques are a bit pricey

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    White Rocks are good birds for dual-purpose breeds. They lay fairly well and they make a nice carcass for non-CornishX and they are white feathered for a cleaner appearance when plucked.

5. gabe4223

gabe4223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Montgomery County,Texas
    Ive decided on 1,2,3 i cant decide between the white rocks or New hampshire

6. chickenlover96

chickenlover96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    i would take them both because i love chickens and just cant have enough but overall i think the white rocks have the better qualites becasue they are more likly to go broody and if can butach the extra roos and they are great lyers hope this helps

7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Get all 3

8. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

I, for one, understand what you're saying. [​IMG] You've already decided to get the first three but are not sure for the fourth--either white rocks or New Hampshires. Both are good layers so if that's your priority it will be on color preference (I like the white ones). For meat, I'd choose the white rocks. But, if I had my choice, I'd get some of both.

9. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    White rocks are white versions of the Plymouth rock. White rocks supposedly descended from barred rocks when some odd-ball white chicks came out of barred rock stock. The barred rock got it's start when D. A. Upham of Worcester, Massachusetts crossed black java pullets with a common single comb barred cock. Plymouth rocks are cold hardy, friendly, and adaptable to either confinement or free range. And despite what some old-timers might say they really don't have a problem with hawks because of their color. When ours were chicks they were the friendliest ones we had and none of them died yet (except for our rooster because our dog caught him).

10. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have had Hampshires and I didn't like them! But I love my white rocks, Lay lots of big brown eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by