What's a woman to do but do it myself...

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by Cluky, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Ok so this will be a bit of a rant but overall questions about learning stuff. I come from the old country so as a child I have learned eveythi I need as a woman. Sowing, knotting, canning, taking care of animals and gardening. why my grandmother didn't account for when she tought me stuff was that I will end up in the new worlds and marry a guy who well, of electricoty goes to hell won't have a job. He is a wonderful guy, but isn't exactly a DIY expert. so what's a woman to do? learn of course... I am trying to lean building simple things like chicken run, coop, etc. But I am finding it hard to find anyone that would teach me this. question is, what is best way/source of learning these type of skills? any books or sites that people know of to help?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    For hands-on experience with people that know what they are doing, maybe volunteer for Habitat for Humanity? Think out of the box a bit.

Get to know your local public librarian. Your local library should have a lot of books on how to build sheds, fences, and such. If they are not on the shelf, the librarian should be able to borrow them from another library. If you can build a shed, you can build a chicken coop. If you can install a window or door, you can handle a whole lot of things, and the right book will teach you how.

You can get some books from Lowe’s or Home Depot that are really helpful, but I prefer the library. The price is right (free) and you just return the book if you don’t like it and get another. If you do like it, you’ve tried out so you know you want it, then search on Amazon.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    x2 what Ridgerunner says

Habitat for Humanity is a good learning opportunity if you have a project going on near you. You get real life practice with a hammer and get to work with someone who knows how to do it, so free training. There are also some churches or communities that will help out people with home repair as community projects, keep your ears open for opportunitites and be willing to volunteer your time. You may be giving away your time and effort, but you will be gaining important valuable skills in return.

LOWES has a bunch of DIY videos on their website - I just googled "lowes classes". They also have DIY classes occationally at their stores to show you how to do some stuff. Depends on the local store though.

To teach yourself, start with a small project or two and work your way up to more challenging things. I started wtih a recipe box and a hanging shelf unit. Both very simple and small, so easy to handle and if I made a wrong cut or something, it was easy and cheap to fix/replace the mistake. The shelf unit was made with all hand tools - I learned alot on that one. Also gave me confidence to take on larger projects later on.

I suggest you buy the highest quality tools you can afford. A dull saw or a drill without enough power to do the job makes it WORK and also makes it more dangerous. Sharp tools are safer to use.

Brigitt likes this.
  4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I too have a Dear Husband that is not as handy as I dreamed about as a young lass. That being said through the years I've learned to just forge ahead with small projects and learn tools as it became demanded of me. Scary sometimes. But awesome when you've mastered them.

When it came to the coop. It was still all on me. As I got a very adamant "NO Chickens." I'm old enough to ignore the nay-saying in my house and I just did it!!! and you will too.

I learned a lot from Youtube videos:

"How to build a floor frame.", "How to measure, cut and hang a rafter", etc. I will tell you this looking at the project as a whole would give me near panic attacks. So I resolved to focus on one bit at a time. The floor, the framing, the The siding, the nest box and lid, the rafters, the roofing.

Tools I found necessary for my projects: Power screw driver for torque screws, Chop Saw, Skill Saw (turn the blade around and it will cut metal roofing) , Framing square, Tape measure. pencil....

Brigitt and brukkala like this.
  5. RoseMarie1

RoseMarie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    Hattiesburg,Ms.
    My Coop
    Watch This Old House on PBS and Ask This Old House and things like that. My daughter and I LOVE the shows and have learned all kinds of stuff off them. In fact her boyfriends Dad was redoing her boyfriends bedroom and she taught him SEVERAL things and that's what the man does at work! lol He asked her where did you learn all this stuff and she told him, I watch This old house. lol Both of us LOVE the show and learn as well. GOOD sources to learn!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by