What's All This Cheeping About?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thunder Bird, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Thunder Bird

Thunder Bird Out Of The Brooder

So, I am new to chick raising, and I had two chicks about a week ago. They are about 3 weeks, until one of them died yesterday. What happened? I fed them, watered them, cleaned their coop plenty of times. So what?
    The night before my chick died, they were cheeping endlessly. Their feet were sticking to their poop, and I was going to clean their coop the next day and clean their toes too, and I use newspaper for their bedding, and softer paper, about 1 inch deep for their nest. In the morning, that one died, with only the other one. It keeps cheeping, going and going, only to stop when there is water (maybe food?) What is going on and what should I do?

(I need an answer FAST! Going to the vet is not an answer)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    check your heating system to ensure that its kicking out the right temps for your chicks and also add vitamin supplements / electrolytes to their drinking water. Sorry i can't suggest anything else as i only raise chickens with a broody hen.

Good luck
    CT

3. Thunder Bird

Thanks, I'll see what I can do. Should I add a little garlic to the water too? I read that you should feed garlic that is well minced and crushed to your chicks.

4. Thunder Bird

And do you think that it is chirping a lot because it is hot? Chicks chirp less and more softly when it's cold. Should it be that when they are hot, it would be chirping loud enough to have you get a tiny headache?

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If it is now a lone chick, it is cheeping because it is lonely.

6. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Yes I to had a Lonly chick before and I had stuck a stuffed dog toy in with it and it went to sleep next to it

7. jeanetteiacovon

jeanetteiacovon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    she is calling for her sister chick. She is by herself and instinct tells her she is not safe by herself.

8. jeanetteiacovon

jeanetteiacovon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    also depending on how big the area is they should be cleaned every few hours removing the poop giving and fresh nonpoopy water and clean food. If you must...at this age you can still add a few chicks with no trouble as long as the older one is healthy

9. Thunder Bird

I'll try putting a stuffed toy in there :)

10. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Yes he fell asleep next to it that's the one that hatched about two days early and everyone thought he was dead because he wasn't moving but he was breathing and his fluff dried and he was all up walking around then the next day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by