What's an easy way to get my chickens back into their kennel?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pet Duck Boy, May 14, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    My yard is only about 1/4 of an acre, but my 5 pullets still make me chase them every single day trying to herd them back into their kennel! Sometimes I'll spend 30 minutes chasing them around making chicken noises, I'm sure my neighbors think I've gone baserk! [​IMG] I let them out 9-10 AM and always try to get them back into their chain-link dog kennel by 6:00-7:30, just before it gets dark. But after 2 weeks of this it's getting quite tedious! How do you guys get your chicken's back into your coop?

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Figure out what their favorite treat is, then save that for bed time. Give them the treats INSIDE the kennel - or coop, not all day while they're roaming and free-range feeding. Walk SLOWLY towards the coop/kennel, tell them to ,"GO TO YOUR HOUSE." if you try to be quick, they will scatter!

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I use a plastic coffee can, shake it with some scratch in it and call "hut, hut" I also carry a long 6 ft cane or sorting stick. that way I can extend my arm, and I tap the ground behind the chicken not going in the direction I want. Always call them when you bring them food, even if you are not putting them up in the run/coop.

Mine come running to me and usually follow me right in. mk

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    A broom has worked wonders for me. [​IMG]

5. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Mine go back in when it gets almost dark. All by themselves. But my best guess would be treats. That is what I do if I need them to come back before dark for any reason. And it works just fine.

6. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I tried leaving them out till dark last night, they ended up sleeping under a bush! They finally gave in after shoved a broom in their faces for 5 minutes...[​IMG] I'll try the treat thing...others are welcome telling me how they get their chickens in their house!

7. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    How old are they? And how long have they been staying in that kennel? I ask because it may simply come down to their age. I didn't let mine out of the run until they had lived in their home for atleast a month or so. Enough time that they knew where home was..

8. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A Yard rake (the plastic kind) Works everytime it has a long enough reach on it that you can grab them but not hurt them and after a few times they will know what the rake is......but use it in company with the treats and calling them mine go nuts when they see with the treat can/bucket they just know something good is in it for them now I don't even need the rake anymore.

9. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Ms.FuzzyButts :

How old are they? And how long have they been staying in that kennel? I ask because it may simply come down to their age. I didn't let mine out of the run until they had lived in their home for atleast a month or so. Enough time that they knew where home was..

They'll be 12 or 13 weeks old on Monday. They've been staying in the kennel since week 6....so they've been in their 6-7 weeks. They like my yard better than their kennel, due to the lack of predators there's not much that can scare them during the day, and if there is they have plenty of cover under the trees or bushes so they feel pretty content walking around. They love insects so I guess I'll have to dedicate a certain bucket as the "treat container" so they come running when they see it, like others have mentioned.​

10. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Me and a plastic bag. With bread crumbs. They got crazy and could follow me to hell [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They love bread.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by