What's another mouth or 26 to feed? Bring it on!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Pullet Pimp, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    A month ago our family was typical owning 1 dog 1 cat and a fish. Well that all went out the window quickly. Maybe I am too much of a softy for animals. The kids wanted hermit crabs, but I told them they had to wait until their fish died (naturally) then they could have the crabs. That happened so they each got their own tank of crabs.

My wife and I have always loved dogs and I was a police K9 handler (Chocolate Lab) until he retired a couple years ago and is still at home enjoying retirement. The other day we drove by a farm house a couple miles down the road that had a new sign which read "Mastiff's for sale" and their number. I have always loved that breed, but prices are skyrocketing ($1200-$2000) on them so fast around here that I never thought I could justify spending that on a dog. My wife convinced me to call and to our surprise they were only asking a couple hundred for the pups. They are full blood dogs but with no papers. The people are not breeders but have three Mastiffs and now the fresh litter of 8 more that needed good homes. Mom and Pop were there to meet and passed my selection tests. I couldn't resist so, as other posts I have read here have said, stuff just happened and we now own a 8 week English Mastiff new pup.

Since we moved back into the country about 5 yrs ago I have been begging the wife to let me have chickens, so why she was still on her "high" from the new puppy I struck while the iron was hot. She said yes so I quickly placed my order for 25 chicks and built a brooder in the basement. I am now working on the coop and have gotten some pretty good ideas from here. Well I have included a photo of the two boys who are getting to be pretty good buddies, now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    AWWWWWW, HE IS SOOOOOO CUTE!!!!! What's his name? The lab looks like my 16 year old lab, Bo, such a sweet old boy!

Oh, [​IMG]

3. Pullet Pimp

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    The Chocolate lab is named Beaux he is 14 yrs now and the English Mastiff is named Midas. What a coincidence that you replied and have a chocolate lab named Bo, also [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  4. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    [​IMG]

Congrats on your new babies! This is my new baby with one of my big 2 legged babies.
    Mastiffs are cool dogs, and I love my Fergus, but I always have to remember my ,"Command presence" and to be firm, fair and consistant, because if I give him an inch, he will take a mile! Hope you like slobber!

5. Pullet Pimp

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:We have been getting the cloth diapers ready and will have one on us or near us at all times for drool patrol. Wife had that same issue with her boxer growing up. Small trade off for such a GREAT dog.

That's a good looking pup ya got there.

6. MissDeb

MissDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Mat-su Alaska
    Welcome to the Mastiff world. Here are my two bullies, Harley and Amber. What a cute little pup, makes me want another!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by