Whats been happening!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ronnie2, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Ronnie2

Ronnie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    My chickens were raised by the seller, in dog kennels, on concrete floors, that's what he told me. I put pine straw in 6-laying boxes, they raked them all out clean of straw. A nest was built in the corner of coup, I picked up all the eggs. Last night I put the empty nest back in a box, and this morning there were 4-eggs in it, so I left them, and put straw in another box. I want to increase my flock. While going to pick up more straw, 1-chicken got out, and my dear wife told me to be home to go to monthly social do, had rather be shot. Couldn't catch her so I just let the whole bunch out. They are just laying in the white sugar sand, in the partly shade from nearby trees. Not wandering off into the pasture with hairy vetch planted for my honeybees. Only thing I can do is hope a wandering coyote, fox; or raccoon doesn't come wandering by. About dark I'll go shut the door, hoping all six hens, and rooster all acounted for. Tomorrow, I'll let them out again, hope they find there way up to the farm house where I write to you on my computer with the a/c on, under the ceiling fan, in front of TV, but no phone!!

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    A few questions if I may.
    Is this the first group of chickens you have had?
    How long have you had them?
    Is this the first trip out of the coop?
    Do they have access to a dirt run?
    What was the outside temp when you found that they are laying about in the shade?
    Is there a lip on the front of the box to help keep the bedding in?

Given the limited info about them my best guesses are...
    They were hot and the dirt is cooler so it was a wonderful dustbath time.
    The straw is long strands and easily scratched out of the nest while they settle in to lay.
    If your hens do not have access to dirt they will need to be allowed out to dustbathe. It is how they naturally keep mites off them.

They should head back to the coop around dusk on their own. If not you may have to hunt them down. A few trips out and they will have it figured out.

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

You've had good input from @21hens-incharge above.

4. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    21-Hens in charge
    This is my first experience with chickens, except as a boy with my Grandparents, just helping pick up a few eggs, and getting flogged by mean rooster.
    I picked the 5-hens, and 1-rooster last week. Yes, this was there first trip out of coop. Even today they have not ventured out to far away from coup. They are free range, They have about 5-acres around the house to do a lot of doing there thing, The rest of the farm is in mature timber. When they are laying in the sand the temperature is in the high 80's. There is a lip on the nest boxes now, at the time they scratched it out, there wasn't. After our super club last night, and I got out here at 9pm, they were all on the roost, and 1-broody hen sitting on nest. She was sitting on 5-eggs this morning. If I had not picked up the seven eggs, I would have been well on my way to a great hatch. I do carry my 204 rifle on my shoulder when venturing out, then when inside, it by the door. I'm on the lookout not only for friendly wildlife creatures, but anything after chickens will be exterminated.

5. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    Thanks Queen Misha, glad I found this website.

6. DeYoungs

DeYoungs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Welcome Ronnie2, sounds like you are enjoying the adventure so far.

7. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    DeYoungs, having a great adventure with the chickens. Thanks for asking. Learning a lot here on BYC!!

8. DeYoungs

DeYoungs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    That makes two of us! This forum is full of usefull information. [​IMG]

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Glad to hear they made it in just fine.

When it is hot they will look for a cool shady spot and dig a nice cool hole to laze about in.
    They must like the new home since they came back with no hassle!

Yup this is a great site full of great people.

I hope to hear someday that there is a hatching happening from your happy lot.

10. Ronnie2

Mar 12, 2017
    Palestine, Texas
    Keeping chickens is a lot of fun for me, I like spending every day at our farm. Tuesday, wife went to take our Daughters dogs back, we were baby sitting, and she spent the night. Whenever she leaves for an overnight stay, I head out to our farm to spend the nights. I'm always building something out in the shop, and now looking where the chickens are. I was thinking about building an incubator, wife talked me out of it, says to just go order 10-more of the same breed at our local feet store. I'm not trying to make a living at it, I just know I'm going to loose one to a predator. I do keep a rifle within easy reach, and a big iron on my hip, sings Marty Robbins, in his song about the handsome young Texas Ranger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by