Whats best to feed? layers pellets,mash, mixed corn or wheat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Johnn, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I have to be able to put some of it on the floor because my hens are very serious in the pecking order and will not share a feeder

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Layer pellets, crumbles, or mash all contain a balanced diet. Corn or wheat by themselves do not.

Have you considered separate feeders spread out, maybe even one in the run?

3. LizaBlue

LizaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Wee Acres
    We just switched from crumbles to pellets, since we read that there was less waste with pellets. I don't think the chickens or turkeys really care. We have 2 separate food/water stations on opposite ends of the coop and the feeders are the round ones with multiple holes, and all of ours hang which spaces them out nicely. We also have waterers outside near their favorite hangouts and occasionally scatter treats and food in shallow (2 1/2 inch deep) dishpans around the yard. The "pecking order" thing was a huge issue until we got rid of our guineas and 3 extra roosters, now there are only mild squabbles and everyone gets to eat - eventually, lol. Another thing that helps is placing feeders against the walls in opposite corners so they can't see each other eat.

Good luck!

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    well i have a feeder in one shed and all the boss chickens og in there then i have a feeder in the other shed the middle ones go in there and then the bottom ones eat out side, and if the bottom ones go in a shed all you hear is a big squak and it running out

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Why not experiment with a longer feeder to reduce the fighting and competitiveness. Had the same issue, briefly. Just had to build another couple feet of feeder box.

As for feed, 90% of the diet needs to be layer, be it in the form of mash, pellets or crumble.

6. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
  7. mlregalado

mlregalado New Egg

Feb 28, 2011
    Are there any alternatives to processed feed that will properly nourish laying hens?

8. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    During the summer ours free range and receive some wheat and corn too.

In the winter, here in Ohio, you need to introduce some protein because there is little to be found on the yard full of ice and snow.

If you don't want commercial feed then mixing things like alfalfa, clover corn wheat can be mixed. Alfalfa leaves can be in the 30 to 38% protein range. Meat scraps are also use by many homesteaders.

If you look at the pearson's square calculator (one of our free apps) it will give you some average minimum protein levels which you can use to calculate the proteins in a rations. We show some of the proteins on the low side like wheat which is usually a little higher then 12%.

If you are determined to mix yourself -- the more diversity in the diet the better. That is, a little bit of lot of things in better than 100% of one thing.

There are production farmers that use corn or wheat, roasted soybeans, limestone, with the additions of minerals to make their own layer rations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by