What's Best Way To Add New Birds With Mine???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lesalynn, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    Okay, I started out with 12 Coturnix. Supposedly, there was only 1 rooster (I had no experience with quail whatsoever). Anyway, turned out there were at least 3 roosters in the bunch. I wanted to try incubating some of the eggs, and see if I could hatch out and raise some young. Out of 34 fertile eggs, 33 hatched. [​IMG] I had been reading different threads on here about breeding. Now, I am wanting the majority of the young I raise for meat purposes. BUT I would like some young stock kept for breeding purposes. I have read somewhere that I should only put hatchlings together....that I can't mix different hatches. So....how do I go about selectively breeding certain hens with a certain rooster??? Isn't it not good to breed a rooster to his hatch-mates??......I mean, how do I put a rooster from a different family in with non-related hens when I'm ready for some fertile eggs from them???

2. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Best way I have found is to move them into a neutral cage that is "home" to neither. Seems like when you move newcomers into an established cage the "homeboys" pick on the newcomers. When I have moved two different groups into a cage that neither has been in I don't seem to have a problem.

3. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    That does make a lot of sense.....thnx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by