Whats best?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailboy 73, Jan 18, 2011.

1. quailboy 73

quailboy 73 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    Whats the best thing to put in a quail pen? Pine straw,hay or nothing:/

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Bedding seems to be a person preference thing. I would try each type of bedding out and figure out what you like best from that. Everyone will have their favorite, and yet there is no right or wrong answer.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:WOULD YOU BELIEVE QUAIL??? [​IMG]

THANX, I'LL BE HERE ALL WEEK, 2 SHOWS DAILY [​IMG]

4. neb

neb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    South Africa
    Hey

It firstly depends on what type of quail you will be housing, some quail like CPQ and Californians need soil or hay and cant stand on wire. Most people recommend wire flooring for Coturnix Quail. But personally I put my Quail on soil, not wire, I think they are more comfortable on it.
    It is up to personal preference like JustBugged said, but only to a certain extent. I use soil and put dry grass cuttings down every now and then, you then just clean out the top layer of soil once a week (depends on how many quail you have).

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks

There ya go again JJ, using that stupid logic... Always makes me smile a bit thou. Bill

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

There ya go again JJ, using that stupid logic... Always makes me smile a bit thou. Bill

SORRY EVERY ONCE IN WHILE MY SENSE OF HUMOR ESCAPES.... AND THEN SOME DAYS I JUST LET IT FREE RANGE AND TERRORIZE THE NEIGHBORHOOD LIKE A STRAY CAT IN HEAT.... [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:ON A SERIOUS NOTE.. SE GA, HOT HUMID WEATHER PRONE SOUTHERN STATE...

IF YOUR KEEPING THE BIRDS ON THE GROUND I WOULD SUGGEST REMOVING 4 TO 6 INCHES OF THE TOP SOIL IN THE PEN AND REPLACING IT WITH A THICK LAYER OF PLAY SAND. THIS WILL BE THE EASIEST SUBSTRATE TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN AS WELL AS PROVIDE THE BEST DRAINAGE FOR THE ANIMALS OVERALL HEALTH. BIRDS KEPT ON THE GROUND WILL REQUIRE STRICT WORMING REGIMEN AND WILL ALSO BE WAY MORE PRONE TO ILLNESS, ESPECIALLY IN THIS CLIMATE ZONE.

PLAY SAND CAN BE "CLEANED" BY RAKING AND USE OF WATER HOSES... RAKE, RINSE, REPEAT AS IT DRIES. ETC... LOTS OF ADDED LABOR. IT MAY ALSO BE SANITIZED THROUGH THE ADDITION OF BLEACH WATER IN THIS REGIMEN

ANY ADDED SUBSTRATE SUCH AS HAY OR PINE STRAW WILL INCREASE THE MESS NEEDED TO BE CLEANED FREQUENTLY AS IT WILL BEGIN TO DETERIATE AND MATT WITH FECES AND WHATNOT. WHICH LEADS TO GREATER LABOR, TIME AND EXPENSE

ULTIMATELY ITS YOUR CHOICE... SO LONG AS YOU DONT USE TOXIC SUBSTANCES LIKE CEDAR... USE WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU.

8. quailboy 73

quailboy 73 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Southeast Georgia
    I been thinking about going and using play sand. Because i was think that pine straw might be some my problems. With my birds dying off like they have.Because bobwhites is what im raising:lol:.O yea thanks for the laugh.Everybody needs alittle bit of humor in there life.

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Are you still losing birds? Bill

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bobs Are Highly Susceptible To A Myrid Of Illnesses When Kept On The Ground... From Worms To Enteritis And Encephalitis... All Quite Common In Bobs Kept On The Ground For Any Length Of Time... Also The Longer Birds Are Kept In An Enclosure The More Problems Birds In That Enclosure Will Become Infected With.

On The Ground They Would Require A Strict Worming Regimen
    Periodic Anti Cocci Treatment
    And Many Routinely Give Prophylactic Antibiotic Treatments For Enteritis Or Encephalitis

This Is All Part Of Their Routine Care Before Illness Problems Show Up.... After The Treatment Usually Intensifies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by