Whats big, black, and showed up on my doorstep?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by IcarusSomnio, Nov 10, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I have a BIG black lab mix (prolly Boxer) sitting in my backyard now! He looks older, has gray on his muzzle, and is not fixed. We have a nice spay/neuter program in the area but a lot of men don't want their 'best friends' getting snipped because it hurts their masculineness somehow. Figures.

ANYWAYS! This big lovable lug showed up so I drug him inside to get a better look. Nice thick coat, stocky build, but definitely needs some groceries. SUPER submissive, very calm but loves to get hugged and petted. I left him alone with my chickens today (after making sure he wasn't zeroing in on them) with some dog food for him, came back to find him basking in the sun, pullets and roo's hovering around him [​IMG]

He's been on the streets for 2+ weeks I'd guess. Called the vets, People For Pets (they told me to TAKE HIM TO THE KILL SHELTER! what!), and left a message at the shelter (where he is absolutely, positively NOT going). I really hope this guy has an owner and isn't a dump case, he's such a sweet boy.

I let him stay inside up until he started marking the vacuum, the garbage can, the kitchen table, etc. Neutering him at this point won't break the habit, so if he's going to stay, all the extra parts are going to come off.

His number one vice is that he barked all night long. He is DEAD SILENT during the day but around midnight I was awoken to barking and howling. Fun. I offered him Duke's kennel for the night but he acted liked I had asked he jumped into an acid vat. Built him a makeshift shelter in the yard and left him there (with food and water, of course!) instead.

If I can't find an owner, I honestly don't know if I'm going to keep him or not. He'd be excellent for a family with kids and some livestock to 'guard'. He doesn't seem to know any basic commands (sit, stay, lay down), doesn't walk on a leash either. Not spooky, very friendly. My only real problem is the in-the-house marking (not his fault, obviously, if he's been an outside dog all his life). I like my inside doggies with their couch-hogging tendencies.

Pictures ASAP. All the ones I took are out of focus, or are extreme closeups because he thinks you want him RIGHTTHEREWITHYOU when taking pics.

Hazel JUST came into heat too. Can you say ultra-supervised on-leash potty breaks? I let them do the usual you-sniff-my-butt-I-sniff-yours introductions and there was no growling/bitting/snapping/humping. Duke (neutered) tried to hump the big guy (not neutered) and he just kinda stood there and did his breathy lab thing [​IMG]

2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [​IMG] LOL, glad there are those like you in the world. Lug is lucky to have wandered onto the right property. Hope he finds the home that he should be at (whether it is yours, his old place, or a new one). Good choice about avoiding the kill shelter with a friendly elderly dog. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    You made me smile [​IMG] you have a way of writing things lol. He sounds like a big loveable thing.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Unfortunately these are bad times for pets, dogs, horses, cats, even chickens are being turned loose because their owners can not longer afford to care for them. Shelters are getting overloaded as are rescue groups. The dog is lucky you found him as is the one on another thread posted at the same time.

5. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    QUICK update [​IMG] The sweet ol' boys now dubbed 'Cujo', I was trying to see if I could find a name he responded to and that one kinda stuck. He's also staying in the house! NO accidents, no more territorial peeing, no nothing! He sleeps in the backroom on the cushy bed I made up for him and doesn't make a peep all night long. Duke sleeps in his kennel and Hazel snores next to me in my room. I'm trying to figure his 'I need to go outside' sign, but since I let the other hellions out on a regular basis anyways I suppose it doesn't matter too much.

We might, might, MIGHT be keeping him. So far no issues with Hazel, who sometimes like to play Miss Oversensitive 2010. Duke (neutered) actually seems more interested then the old guy with the nads! He might actually be to old to 'do it', that would be a plus. I'm watching them like a hawk, but theres sometimes when I just got my hands full or I really need to concentrate on something and I can't keep a total eye on them. Duke actually managed to fully mount Hazel once and I didn't notice they where so quiet! [​IMG]

Still no word on an owner though. My dad said we can consider keeping him (dad speak for 'yes') IFFF I can train him out of his horrible licking habit. He comes over, breathing, and licks and slobbers all over your arm. It's a 'pay attention to me' thing, Hazel does it occasionally but this guy does it ALL THE TIME! He lays down inbetween, but when my dads around he migrates back and forth and licks licks licks. I tried the bitter orange spray on my arm and that seemed to put him off a bit. We'll see!

Otherwise he doesn't counter surf, bark, steal food, growl at the nagging Hazel and Duke, get up on the furniture (I invited him onto the couch that Duke and Hazel already hog, took him about a half hour of creeping to get up next to me), doesn't rush the doors, bug the rabbits or the poultry, doesn't do anything bad really....just licks! Well, he does get overexcited and bounces, doesn't jump on you intentionally, just does the bouncy front leg thing. And he likes to put your hand in his mouth sometimes when he gets REALLY excited or you say "Lets get a treat!" No biting, just hand+mouth.

Other then the horrible licking (it's just so...wet!) he has the strangest habit. You have to 'invite' him into places like back into the house via front door, into bedrooms, onto the couch, or into the kitchen if your doing something with food. He will not step into the room unless you say "It's okay Cujee, you can come in". I forgot to invite him (I was putting away groceries, other two where bouncing all over the kitchen) and he did the "Hey! What about me?" growly-bark-I-want-your-attention-lookit-my-waggy-tail.
    One of the strangest things I've ever encontered with a dog, he doesn't know the 'lay down' command, but he asks permission to enter the kitchen [​IMG]

6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Our two outside dogs live in heated housing and roomy pen. They get to wander the land when we are home. They will not come into the house unless invited. Dogs that live outside and not use to coming inside and are hesitant about going inside! I hope that you can keep this guy!!

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The hand mouth thing is just a lab thing. Mine does it too. Dont count on him being too old to do anything with your female. I had a lab that was 14 years old and still managed to get our Norwegin Elkhound pregnant. Bout killed himself in the proccess Had to get him tranqulizers cause he had himself in such a tizzy over her being in heat. Hope you get to keep him. He sounds like a good dog

8. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    well you were thinking about getting another dog [​IMG] sometimes these things happen. We had a dog dropped off here two weeks ago he is great
    [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have a lickery dog too. He was pretty easy to train not to do it to US. However anytime anyone visits, he whips out the tongue. For us, we were hollering a loud and sharp NO! and lightly smacking his nose. It worked in about 2 weeks. Its the visitors I can't get him to stay away from. The only thing this dog will do is love you death. He can knock ya down, but he will clean you up too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by