Whats breeds are my Rooster and Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WhiskiRanch, Jan 9, 2013.

1. WhiskiRanch

WhiskiRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    Good morning BYC friends. I need some opinions on what my roosters breed is as well as my hens. My rooster is white and red and my hens are all black with either a gold or silver shimmer on their chests. The picture below is of my rooster, Whiski. My profile picture is the best I have of one of my hens
    [​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Where did you get your chickens?

Your rooster looks like a cochin or Brahma mix. Does not look pure. I have the same colour on my naked neck turken rooster.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We really need a better pic. My first guess is a spash laced wyandotte, but I can't really tell.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

If you full view the image, it has feathered shanks.

5. WhiskiRanch

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    I will try and get better pictures. My rooster showed up in my hay barn with 3 other rooster (all completely different breeds) last spring and he is the only one that hung around. I have no idea where he came from as we are on a 5 acre piece of land with a 50 acres pasture. Behind us and large acrege all around us. I got my hens from a friiend but he doesn't know what they are. Whiski, my rooster has some feathering on his legs and spurs but is very friendy to my other chickens.

6. WhiskiRanch

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    here is a better picture of my rooster, Whiski, as well one of my hens

[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I still see splash laced wyandotte, but mixed with something feather footed. And does he have leg mites or is it just the pic?
    The hen looks like a black sex link.

8. WhiskiRanch

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    Its just the picture. I've checked his legs and he doesn't have mites. He does have some age to him though. My chickens aren't tame like I would like them to be but once we build the bigger coop, I will be able to seperate the chicks like I want to and tame them down

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    a wyandotte mix and a black sex link

10. WhiskiRanch

Jan 7, 2013
    Finley, Washington
    Thanks :) whatever he is, he is very pretty and gentle with all the girls and babies. Its too bad that his three sons are mean to everyone. I would have loved to try and keep one that looks like him considering I don't know how old he is and would hate to lose him and not have a back up son of his. His three sons are all really pretty. Two are mostly white with deep brown/black feathering on their wings and the other one looks like the breed that is really shiny black with deep blus, greens, and purples in his tail and on his wings :) his three daughters are all different shades of red. One has black in her tail, one has white in her tail and the third is really pale red with white swirled in. all my babies including my 6 young adults are his offspring from 2012. The babies that I have (20) are all different colors. I have some white with black spots, some blacks, some that look like a more vibrent version of their black mother and a couple that I'm hoping will look like Whiski, the papa. I really want to post more pictures but with my phone, its difficult for some reason

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by