What's causing this?

Peacefield Farm

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
I've noticed over the last few days a lighter color on the lower backs of the chickens. I got a close up today. It looks like their feathers have been pulled out. Any ideas? It actually looks a little worse than it is due to the rain. Thanks in adance!!

One of my hens have it too, but I think it's from the rooster fertilizing them a little too much. If you are really concerned of if it gets worse, you can get a chicken saddle or even make one.

Well, I'm trying to raise these birds as maintenance free as possible. I'm not excited about getting a dress for them to wear.

Any other ideas?

What is the ratio of girls to boys and ages? If your roo is just mounting the girls that are "ready" and there are more to come "on line" then it may settle down by itself. In other words, these may just be his favorites for now and he's overdoing it. It also depends on just how rough he is on them. And the ever present first choice question, have you checked for lice & mites etc.? And do you have any feather pickers in your flock?

What is the ratio of girls to boys and ages? If your roo is just mounting the girls that are "ready" and there are more to come "on line" then it may settle down by itself. In other words, these may just be his favorites for now and he's overdoing it. It also depends on just how rough he is on them. And the ever present first choice question, have you checked for lice & mites etc.? And do you have any feather pickers in your flock?

They're all the same age, 7 months. I have 23 ladies and 3 amorous males. I actually had the thought that I had too many males. Do you think that is it? I could move one or two the really cold, electric coop.

How do I check for lice and mites? I've had a small # of birds for over 5 years and they have been totally maintenance free. I've only had this many birds since July.

I haven't noticed any feather pickers. I assume they're easy to distinguish?

I appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom