What's cheaper, corrugated plastic or metal for roof?

karlamaria

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Western montana
Im having a new run built, the problem is cost and keeping snow out. I want to put a roof on top, and have all the snow slide off, but can not find pricing on the tin, or the plastic! Anyone have idea's of the cost difference between each panels? Thanks

Here the local lowes has the plastic corrugated stuff for $24 a sheet. I haven't found any of either tin or plastic roofing on CL, but I bet that would be the cheapest alternative.

The Tin stuff is cheaper but you may want 1 or 2 of the plastic ones in there to help with light coming in so you can see better. I was just looking at them at Home Depot on Friday night. The Plastic was about $24 and the Tin was about $16.

Jayare

Call a local roofer ask for his scraps we did our run & coop that way with tin roofing . The coop is one color the run another but you can"t beat free.
smile.png

Plastic is more expensive and IMO not nearly as strong, snow/ice/hail/and sun damage to name a few. The metal is of a thicker gauge and will last much better in the long run.

Both come in different qualities and prices. Probably the cheapest plastic would be cheapest but it might not even hold a snow load; some if it is pretty flimsy. Inexpensive metal will last a whole lot longer, usually many years. I wouldn't want a clear roof even up north as it gives no shade in the summer, or at least not as much.

We built a shed out of tin from a 40 or 50 year old building that lasted another 30 years. Actually what killed it was a tree limb.

The plastic is more expensive, but to have both on the roof to allow in light is the best thing to do as others have suggested.

Go for the best grade plastic you can afford as the cheaper stuff degrades and cracks after exposure to extreme weathers.

When looking at 'plastic' sheeting materials (a) make sure it is rated for roofing (some are only rated for siding and will crack apart under a load) and (b) look at the warantee on the product, that will tell you more than anything else how durrable it will be. Galvanized roofs will always out last the 'plastic' roofs (if painted)... but some 'plastic' sheeting products are only rated for a few years, some as few as 3 years. If your roof is flat enough, you could also have prediators (think of a family of fat racoons) on the roof... you wouldn't want them falling through it.

ALSO you might talk to local window companies (especially if the roof is sloped more) about any discarded store front windows. These are very heavy (so the need more support) but would slough off snow quickly and allow light inside. More modern windows are made like car windshields, so very resistent to breaking...

Back
Top Bottom