Whats considered a coop? Bad neighbor so I need to know....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sock Puppet, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    My chicken enclosure can be 40 feet from my neighbor, I know he's going to complain so I need to be prepared.

The coop has to be 75 feet from any other residence. My question is...

What is considered a coop?

I was going to build an open sided shelter in thier run. All it will have is a roof. Would this be considered a coop? Or should I just set some nest boxes out there with an overhang for when there is wet weather.

We have an orange tree that their run/shelter is going to be under for shade. We will have netting on top so the wild birds cant get in and the oranges cant drop into the pen.

We live in hot sunny arizona soooo its not like we get snow or lots of rain.

This is what the city code says...
    Are chickens allowed in Mesa? How about roosters?
    You may have up to 10 chickens on the first one-half acre or less provided any enclosure is at least 40 feet from any neighboring residence, any coop is at least 75 feet from any other residence, it is kept sanitary and they are not allowed to run loose or create a noise disturbance. A rooster is also allowed as long as it does not violate any of the above regulations. (See Mesa City Code 6-4-20A, C, D, and E).

I just want to be prepared for when he complains.​

2. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    build it on wheels, then its just a chicken tractor... maybe a huge chicken tractor, but still not a permanent coop per se

3. Groves

Groves New Egg

Mar 21, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    Sounds to me like the ordinance says that

every part of their enclosure (run, pen, etc) must be 40ft from the other houses, and

every part of their coop must be 75 ft away.

I would think that wherever they sleep/lay is going to be called their coop.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's a legal interpretation issue, so what matters isn't what BYCers think, it's what your local municipality thinks (more accurately, the position of the person who would be in charge of enforcing this bylaw - probably the building inspector, but possibly the health inspector, depending on where in the code this is)

If it's a building code issue, a moveable thing like a tractor might be exempt; OTOH if it is a health or nuisance issue, it probably wouldn't.

Really, since you know your neighbor is likely to complain, I think that by far the smartest thing would be to go to the building inspector (or health inspector, or whomever) and ask THEM what 'coop' means and whether the alternatives you're considering would constitute a coop. Because, for all practical purposes, their word is what matters.

Good luck,

Pat

5. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    It was under the city code under animal control [​IMG]

I didnt think to call the city to find out what thier difinition is.

I guess I will just have to give them a call, I hate involving the city in anything, but at least my bases will be covered.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Yeah, I would normally say 'why make yourself known' but if you are pretty sure that Mr Cranky next door is going to make waves anyhow, then I think you're better off making sure you start out with the animal control officer's blessing.

Good luck,

Pat

7. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I would say no rooster if the neighbor is a complainer.

8. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say if it is legal and the neighbor is a complainer get a long crower rooster. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  9. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Quote:I hope you're joking - I mean, why invite more issues when you already know your neighbor is going to be a pain to begin with? Doesnt make sense..

More flies with honey than vinegar [​IMG]

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain, and most fools do.-Dale Carnegie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by