What's crop and how do you know if they have it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannon84, Oct 3, 2016.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Hi im new with chickens, and was wondering how to tell when one has it and how to treat it! Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy shannon84

Did you mean to type ‘sour’ or ‘impacted’ crop in your subject?

The following is a link to a great article in the Learning Center on crop issues:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

I do hope that none of your flock are currently having issues but if they are, I hope that you are able to resolve them.

I have dealt with crop issues within the flock due to the eating of long grass and both times the outcome has been a good one and both gals are still happy and healthy.

3. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Oh i didnt know there was diffrent types. I was just curious incase i ran into that problem :( one of my hens has a huge bulge down on lower neck area, is that normal? She eats and acts completely healthy though!

4. TeeMom

TeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Kansas
    Yes
    Yes...the crop is a part of bird anatomy where food is contained before it travels through the rest of the digestive system. It is internal on the lower end of their neck and if they have recently eaten you will see it bulge from the outside. This is totally normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by