What's Everyone doing to keep chicks cool in this heat???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hippie Chicks Mom, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    It is in the 90's here in the northeast. Can't imagine the south!!!! I am using a box fan in the coop, spraying down the yard when it's cool enough for them to go outside, lots of water, blocking off sunny spots in the coop with an old table clothe, lots of watermelon, chilled. Any other ideas? What is evryone doing to beat the heat?[​IMG]

2. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    I lost 5 yesterday to the heat, so all my chickens (12) are inside in dog crates in the basement where its cooler than up here where we are! I know not all can do this, and trust me if we didnt have too we wouldnt but I am NOT loosing anymore of my girls! Its 106 or 107 degrees F on our back porch in the shade!

3. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I live in Maine. Today, it was hot, humid, and mostly still with on and off rain. I kept my chicks in a dog cage outside with a tarp over three sides and the top for shade. Even after that, they were panting, so I put some ice in their water. They seemed to be ok after that. But then again, I have only had chickens for two days and I don't know what the heck I'm doing! [​IMG]

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Mine have been panting also. I tried putting a little ice in their water, and changed the water when it warmed up. There is a little shade in their run, and they seem to naturally gravitate towards it, so i haven't restricted their movement at all. Today I put a milk jug full of frozen water in the run, thinking they might sit on it, but they just pecked it over and over.

I can't even imagine what it is like in the south. I'll regret saying this, but it almost makes me long for winter!

Robin

5. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    My girls are about three weeks old. I gave them a "swimming pool": glass baking dish (hard to tip over) with 1/2 inch of water. They run through it and rinse their feet. They ignore the ice cubes I've been adding, but it is cute to see them standing in the baking dish and taking sips of water.

The back porch was just too hot, so I put them in the box they started out in and they are between me and the TV in my Living Room now. I turned off the ceiling fan so they couldn't get chilled.

The adult chickens are lounging in dust baths next to their houses. They don't get to come inside. [​IMG]

6. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    We put a fan in the coop pushing the hot air out the window to create an air flow up from the chicken door and covered the run with a tarp. We also replaced their water 3 or 4 times today. Hope it cools down tomorrow.

7. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Quote:I wasn't restricting their movement by putting them in the cage. They are just so little that they can fit through the holes in the chain-link fence that I have to protect them from my cat that is the most sucessful huntress in the area. They are in the cage all the time unless I'm there to keep them away from the sides. The cage is their brooder.

Don't jinx us Maniacs by saying you "long for winter!"[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:I wasn't restricting their movement by putting them in the cage. They are just so little that they can fit through the holes in the chain-link fence that I have to protect them from my cat that is the most sucessful huntress in the area. They are in the cage all the time unless I'm there to keep them away from the sides. The cage is their brooder.

Don't jinx us Maniacs by saying you "long for winter!"[​IMG]

Lol I am with Robin, I prefer winter to the heat [​IMG] . What I would do for my chickens was freeze some milk jugs of water and put it in their run, in the shade. They would lay next to it and cool down. I would also add some ice to their water, and if it was really hot I would spritz them with the hose.

9. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Oh, I didn't realize they were just babies, Cat Water. I thought maybe the cage was to keep them from running too much. Mine tend to run like crazy if they see a fly buzzing around, which I'm sure doesn't help when they're trying to keep cool.
    I guess I should long for autumn, but I'm a teacher, so that seems harsh!

10. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    [​IMG]
    We added a "water feature" and halfburied a large flower pot to help keep it cool. These are the baby chochin banties about 6 weeks old. They free range all over and don't seem to be panting much despite the 105 degree day. The teenage orps find their favorite spot under the camper on the stones.
    [​IMG]
    And the adults just pant and spread their wings and find tall trees to dust under.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by