What's everyones favorite brand of food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Silkiehen, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    I will am looking for all different answers! Good and bad experiences with brands of feed. What food did you see the best results with? What feeds did you have a terrible experience with? I am raising silkies, if that helps!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    A lot depends on the availability of fresh feed in your area, if you insist on organic, and the size of your flock. I feed Purina and have been satisfied. The times I've tried locally milled from the local feed mills, things haven't been as good. Rapid turnover at the feed store helps to insure fresh feed! For a mixed aged flock, the Flock Raiser with free choice oyster shell is fine. My birds free range, and get some kitchen scraps and scratch blend as treats. Mary

3. Bethel3330

Bethel3330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    WV
    I agree with Mary, except that I landed on Nutrena feed. Ours was manufactured only 4 to 5 weeks before when I bought it, so the turnover she mentioned is true. We tried buying organic from a feed store and the bags were dusty and had been laying there awhile.
    We first used a non-gmo feed when we had a dealer nearby but they no longer sell it, not for lack of demand, but too little time, so it took awhile for us to decide what to do. We were very happy with that, feather quality went down with subsequent other feeds but seems to be good again.

4. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Nutrena Naturewise Starter Crumbles at the moment. The birds seem to love it.

5. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Nutrena

6. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    In my opinion, the PUrina crumbles were too small to even be called crumbles. I like nutrena.

7. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Nutrient feather fixer

8. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    I am in love with Manna Pro Medicated Chick starter. I need some thing for my girls that are about to start laying! Thank you for all your awnsers!

9. thoth3g

thoth3g Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm thinking about going with one of these:
    http://patriotfarmandfeed.com/product-category/feed/poultry/
    I don't know if it's available where you are at.
    I like the sound of the All Flock feeds. I haven't decided just yet. Even with it being a local outfit think their turnover of feed should be good as only a few dealers have it.

If I have to go with a big mill feed i'll probably just go with an "all flock".

10. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    I am going to try All Flock in a few days. I will let you know if they like it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by