Whats going on?! [[HELP]]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Sep 10, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    I have a White d'Uccle cockerel that is not acting quite right.. I went up to water them in the tracter an I was sitting there talking to Snooki, my partridge Silkie who sits on a stick an coos to me, when I look over at the d'Uccle an he stands up really straight arches his neck an shakes over an over again... I took him away from the flock an he is in a cage by himself on the porch now where I can keep a close eye on him.. he was sitting in the cage an I noticed where his neck is kind of deformed... right above his crop there is another bump off to the left but theres no mass there when I feel it... I opened his mouth an theres nothing in his throat that I could see (an he has no problem bitting me). I put a bucket of water in with him with Save-a-chick in it from Tractor Supply (have vits an electrolites in it)... I'll post a picture later of his neck...

Does anyone know of what it might sound like or what else I can do differently or if im doing anything wrong... my DH an MIL keep saying just stick him back in the tractor with the flock because
    1. they see nothing wrong with him
    an 2. they dont want him on the porch... but I want to be able to keep an eye on him, am I just going crazy? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011
  2. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Please help someone!!! :'(

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    How old is he? Sometimes I see young cockerels just starting to mature go through the motions of crowing, but no sound comes out. Could that be it? It the lump on the skin?

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:he's about 10-12 weeks old I think (I got him as a 1 week old at a swap on July 9th)... I took the crowing thing into account but he doesnt open his mouth when he does it...
    an yeah it feels like its under the skin but its not hard....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2011
  5. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    does he act like he is in pain or is agitated? Is he eating/drinking/pooping? Could something be stuck in his throat, like a big piece of bread or fruit?

6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:He only gets grass an Dumor feed... theres no hard mass when I feel it an when I open his mouth theres nothing that I can see... he's acting fine other then the weird thing he's doing that I described in the OP...

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    could he be trying to swallow something stuck in his throat? (garden slug maybe?)

8. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:should I check his throat again? should I take him off of the Save-a-chick? what should I do?

9. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried rubbing his throat to move anything that might be stuck in there?

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:it doesnt feel like anything is in there. just a squishy lump..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by