what's going on here?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by granmahen, Apr 14, 2009.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Sweet silkie started laying eggs, one a day, for about three weeks. Was in coop/run with turkey and two bobwhites. Turkey started being verrrrry mean to silkie, so moved turkey out with bobwhites (bobwhites keep turkey calm, go figure) Anyway now silkie sits and sits but no eggs. I wonder what's going on?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It sounds like she may have gone broodie.

3. granmahen

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    What can I do? I've got three one week old banties, should I let her raise them?

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    You need to get her on some fertile eggs ASAP.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Even though the turkey was being a jerk, your silkie is a flock animal and the change may have affected her. Is she close to other birds? She may be lonely. Time for more silkies? [​IMG]

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:She may reject them if she is early in her broodie cycle. They might also be a bit old for to take also. But you never know with Silkies. They are very motherly.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I like Silkies but I have never raised them. They are such fascinating members of the chicken breeds- a little bit exotic and utterly charming.[​IMG]

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Don't forget that they are evil and addicting!

9. countr806

countr806 New Egg

Jul 13, 2008
    Hudsonville, MI
    My silkie is sitting on 11 eggs and I'm waiting for them to hatch. She only leaves to eat which is about once a day that I have seen. [​IMG]

10. granmahen

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Tried putting 1wk old banties with silkie, she hissed and flapped her wings at them. I guess I'll wait another week till its warmer then put them outside in her pen with a protective cage and heat lamp. Until then, I'm making her get out of pen for some exercise and tlc from me, oh and I put some easter eggs in for her to sit on for now. Wish I could get some fertile eggs for her, but I'm at my chicken limit for now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by