Whats Going On... regular crowing and then deflated squeaky toy sound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3ChickensinNC, Sep 17, 2012.

1. 3ChickensinNC

3ChickensinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    Yesterday when one of my silkie room was crowing like normal and after the crow he would make a sound like when you step on a squeaky toy that is half broke. I checked him over no eye or nose discharge . Listened to him breath and there was no congestion sounds. I did pull him from the others. Checked the others he was with and saw or heard nothing. Well this morning I heard the same thing but with a different room(Polish). Checked him out and saw no signs of anything just that funny spud after he grows.

What is going o with them ? Is this a sign of something? What should I do or be looking for or treat.

2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I have an EE Roo and a Welsummer Roo. Both seem to do the same thing. I've never thought anything about it. My EE Roo does seem to do it a little more often though. I usually just giggle when they do it. I don't think there's anything to be concerned about at all.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Honestly I have no idea, but I hope you get an answer. I have noticed loss of voice in an angry layer who kept egg songing all day when I moved nesting boxes. Her voice disappeared by the BAGAWK part of the egg song. Other than that, I can't see what else is going on.

4. 3ChickensinNC

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast
    It is strange because it just started and they are 6 and 7 months old. Kinda of worried

5. Leslieb118

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    What mine do is a totally normal crow, no loss of voice at all. Just at the end of the crow is like the OP described, just a deflating squeakish sound. I'll try to get a video of what mine do real quick and see if it's any comparison to what yours do.

6. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    I really don't know either but will be checking this thread out. I have one 6 month old cockerel who had never crowed yet! not that I really mind!

7. 3ChickensinNC

Feb 21, 2012
    on the coast

That would be great.

8. Leslieb118

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    I got a video, but he did it on about the 6th crow, and it's barely noticeable so I'm going to go out and try again after all of the girls have laid their eggs. There were a lot of noisy girls out there and I couldn't hear it well on the video. Funny thing, you just can't make a rooster crow on command! Any other time, it's very noticeable and I can't get them to stop, lol. I will say though, that my EE is just over a year old and has done this for quite some time. My Welsummer doesn't do it as often (6mo), and my Sebright doesn't do it at all.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. limpychick

limpychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Smithfield Virginia
    I don't think it is anything to worry about. I have a few roosters and some do it and some don't. I think with the air and force that they are expelling to create their crow, it is just their lungs reflexively pulling in air. If you force all your air out, your lungs just pull in more air. Roos do the same. Just some squeak and some don't. I think it is hilarious, because they do sound like a broken squeakie toy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by