What's going on with chicken's feathers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by novastar, Jan 3, 2016.

1. novastar

novastar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Ive noticed 2 of my chickens having thin neck feathers. I thought it was peckong but the girl that does the majority of the pecking has it the worst! Is it molting? Molting in the dead cold of winter does not seem practical. Could it be the cold? We have gotten down to 0 and negatives at night.
    Any ideas? What should i do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chickletz

Chickletz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2016
    NY
    looks similar to my older hen. I thought the same thing turns out she is molting in Dec!! lol. Not sure where you live but here it's been a mild winter so not only are they molting but laying as well. Weathers not only got my hens confused but me as well don't know whether to keep my winter clothes out or bathing suit!! [​IMG]

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That looks like a partial molt. Lots of protein will help get those new feathers grown in.

4. novastar

Apr 24, 2014
    Ok! Thank you!
    What kinds of proteins? Oatmeal? Beans?

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Meat, fish, mealworms, cat food, and grower feed are all things that will increase their protein intake. Legumes can be toxic if fed raw, and oatmeal is high calorie, but low in protein.

6. novastar

Apr 24, 2014
    Ok wow! Thank you!

7. novastar

Apr 24, 2014
    I did not know you could give chickens meat and fish! :O

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Chickens are omnivores. They will eat whatever they can catch or find. My flock will hunt small birds and mice. They are most certainly not vegetarians.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is a neck molt probably, many hens will go through one especially younger ones too young to fully molt, it will slow or halt laying but it's not the same as a full molt.

10. novastar

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks so much. They are young girls yet, not quite a year. They did not have a molt in the fall, so i guess this makes sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by