What's going on with comb/waddles?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by candemaye, Jun 18, 2016.

1. candemaye

candemaye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    Noticed this whiteness from the earlobes and black dots on my 16 week old cockerel today. No one else seems to have it, he does have the biggest combs and waddles though. He seems to be acting like his normal self. I wouldn't have even noticed if he hadn't been nipping some treats from our hands today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe that the black specks are peck marks or perhaps even insect bites. He may be a cross that has naturally occurring white tinged wattles. As best I can tell from the pictures it does not appear to be Favus - fungal infection.

3. candemaye

candemaye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    I should've mentioned, he's an Easter Egger. I didn't know the white bits were a possibility at all so I was concerned. I did look them over really closely and they are just like white skin, there is no differentiation in the texture/temp/etc so that's good to know. I figured the black spots were bug bites or something of that nature but wanted to call attention to them in case the two were related. Thank you!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not sure that he is an EE - that comb is rather atypical for a bird carrying the blue egg gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by