whats going on with my chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dubbin, Jul 30, 2011.

1. dubbin

dubbin New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    I have recently purchased 53 leghorns that were just coming into lay. I purchased them from a factory farm and my farm was their first free range and organic experience. Within two weeks I was getting ~48 eggs, then a couple weeks later the number of eggs started to slowly drop. The last couple weeks it has been in the low 30s. Today I only had 27. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I don't have any experience with leghorns, but maybe the stress of moving and the heat. Make sure they have lots of layer pellets, free choice oyster shell and water. Make sure there is enough feeder and water space for everyone so they don't fight. Minimize treats until they get going again. Make sure you have plenty of nest boxes and space. They may just need some time to get used to things. Kinda like transplanting a seedling. Oh, make sure they aren't hiding eggs from you. Chickens LOVE to do that when they free range.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  3. callahanrickey

callahanrickey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    The extremely hot weather and high humidity here in the Florida Panhandle has caused a SEVERE decrease in production with our hens.

4. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Quote:While I am at it, a big Howdy to you too! [​IMG]

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    How does diet you are feeding now compare to what birds are used to?

6. callahanrickey

callahanrickey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Thank you Mtn Margie!!!

7. dubbin

dubbin New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    Thanks all for your replies.... I have considered most of these things, but their are a couple that I can look a little closer at.... as for it being hot... well all of eastern Canada is in a severe heat wave, but we here on the west coast have had only a few days so far this sumer that have been even remotely warm - and we have had lots of rain- I actually thought that maybe the rain had something to do with it.... they were laying so well and it was nice weather... then it rained for 4 or 5 days and that is when the laying went down. At around the same time I also found that crows had been stealing eggs from the coop, but they have not done so in a couple of weeks.

Maybe so many stressors that have wreaked havoc with the hens..

As for feed- I use an organic 16% layer mash which has whole grains rather than the pellet looking stuff.

I will have to go on a hunt for hidden eggs.

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

The stress of moving is probably the cause. I had leghorns that I raised from chicks and they would lay every day no matter what. Heat, cold or whatever. Once in a while one would miss a day and the following day I would get a huge double yoker. Things should settle down after they get used to their new enviroment.

9. dubbin

dubbin New Egg

Jul 30, 2011
    It just seems like it is an awfully long time for them to adjust. As I said it took two weeks for them to get up to 48 eggs... at that point I thought the adjustment period was over... then a couple weeks later things went down...Now it has been a total of 6 weeks since they have been here... shouldnt they be adjusted by now?

10. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Quote:Sounds like they found a place out on the range to lay their eggs.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by