Whats going on with my Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SillyChicken22, Jan 10, 2013.

1. SillyChicken22

SillyChicken22 New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    North Carolina
    I recently bought a mature Dixie Rainbow Rooster, he is soooooo pretty and I love him to peices but he is so daggone weird. He seems schizophrenic, when he arrived here I placed him in his own separate coop, every time one of my bantam Roos walk by he goes insane. Just plum has a fit, flys at the cage, makes almost a screaming noise. Now when I go to feed him and give him water he flips out like im going to kill him, like he is scared of me, other days he walks into the coop and stares at me, lets me pet him and so on. So last week I decided he seems healthy and happy and that night I placed a few hens with him, not even 2 minutes later he started attacking them, it was horrible, so I pulled my girls out of there before he did some serious damage. I dont know what happened to him before I got him, but, what can I do? He is extremely chicken aggressive, but seems to be terrified of humans, Was he used for fighting? Or has he always been alone?

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Some people dont raise their birds to be pet worthy. Not everyone wants to be able to handle them. I for one want my birds to be approachable and friendly. It soulds as though he might have been lower on the pecking order where he came from and was beten pretty bad. Maybe he was kept in a bachelor pen and it got pretty ugly for him. He may never be able to be with other chickens. you can calm his fear of humans easily and with ALOT of patience from you. Go everyday and sit calmly and quietly or talk softly to him, bring treats. If he flips out and wont eat out of your hand make sure he sees you put these special treats down for him and walk away. If you press him he will just get worse. Go slow and try to keep things calm around him. He needs to associate you with peace and treats. Now the aggression to other chickens could be a hormone thing if he is still in that phase and could grow out of it. Maybe continue to allow others to walk by his pen and see if it settles down at all. Good luck

3. SillyChicken22

SillyChicken22 New Egg

Jan 10, 2013
    North Carolina
    Thank you for you're advice, ill try the treat thing . I don't want to just pass him of to the next person like some one else did. I sit at home most days, so I'll take the time to work with him. He is such a petty bird, Im just a bit frustrated with the people I got him from. My bantams still walk by and he still goes insane. The Coop door has a window in it, and he sees his reflection and goes after it, should I block out the window?

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I would just leave the window. He has to figure it out. It will take some time so patience is key here. Maybe even while giving treats to him give treats to some of the others through the fence so he can see we are all a team here. It really sounds like he was picked on alot and now he is just trying to defend himself. Not only is he in a starnge new place but he has all new birds in which he doesnt know if htey will beat him down or not. So there are all these stressers that need to be taken into consideration. I have fixed alot of my aggressive roos this way and yes it does take time. But you should start seeing tid bits of change in him after a couple of days. If not I can give you a few other suggestions to try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by